Cyclist collision at mini round about

Options

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    This is very like a certain lane-hogger's thread recently posted.
  • emmasaunders_2
    Options
    yes I can fully see how this can happen to a competent driver - I can see how it can happen to an incompetent cyclist - I cant see how it can happen to a competent driver AND a competent cyclist, so mitigating factors need to be looked at as I have done throughout this thread

This CAN happen to competent drivers when cyclists with no lights filter at speed through junctions AND did.
  • emmasaunders_2
    Options
    Is it the motorcyclists right to drive appropriately AND have headlights?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes I can fully see how this can happen to a competent driver [...]

Except that, by definition, a competent driver would be working out what they could have done differently rather than finding all the reasons they "were't to blame". Because it's that attitude of learning to avoid incidents regardless of who's "at fault" that makes them competent drivers in the first place.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    yes I can fully see how this can happen to a competent driver - I can see how it can happen to an incompetent cyclist - I cant see how it can happen to a competent driver AND a competent cyclist, so mitigating factors need to be looked at as I have done throughout this thread

This CAN happen to competent drivers when cyclists with no lights filter at speed through junctions AND did.

Even if they had a front light they're not exactly powerful & if the bike was hidden by the car, it's unlikely you'd have picked out a feeble bike light in among car headlights.

You were unlucky, it could happen to any of us. I hope you don't get a claim against your insurance.

On a seperate note - Should bikes be allowed to claim against cars insurance? After all they don't have insurance.....
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Defensive driving, the act of driving in a manner as to mitigate the possibility of being involved in an accident caused by someone else's mistake or poor driving.

In other words, assume all drivers are children and drive accordingly.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »

On a seperate note - Should bikes be allowed to claim against cars insurance? After all they don't have insurance.....

Does this mean that if a car driver badly injured a pedestrian (eg a driver failed to give way at a zebra crossing) that the pedestrian would not be able to claim anything for their injuries unless the pedestrian has insurance?
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    Even if they had a front light they're not exactly powerful & if the bike was hidden by the car, it's unlikely you'd have picked out a feeble bike light in among car headlights.

You were unlucky, it could happen to any of us. I hope you don't get a claim against your insurance.

Not the bike no, but the rider most defiantly.
  • emmasaunders_2
    Options
    Been as we are throwing analogies everywhere, what if I was in the position of the cyclist and he in my position and I hit him at the side, coming from the right, with no lights on.

Im sure alot of you would claim that would be my fault as I didn't have lights on
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fat_Walt wrote: »
    Not the bike no, but the rider most defiantly.

Not sure that would work. Wouldn't it be better for the rider to claim against the driver's insurance rather than the car's? :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure