No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2016

Comments

• Lou85
    Lou85 Posts: 135
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh Gemma, this sounds like how my whole face used to look when I was a teenager! I had acne and I couldn't resist picking the whiteheads and causing craters across my face! I think I kept cleaning it until all the puss was out and then had to ignore it. I didn't really wear make up then either so it didn't get worse but I'm not sure of any miracle cures as I didn't know much about skincare then.

I am 100% guilty of not brushing my teeth at night. I really only do it if my teeth feel disgusting or I've got particularly bad breath at bedtime but I find my breath is worse in the mornings after I brush my teeth at night!

I too used to hide from bold lip colours. I have big lips and got bullied at school for it. My mum used to say 'supermodels would kill for your lips' and now I know she's right. I love them now and get so many compliments on them. It's really my OH who has given me the confidence to wear bright colours and I now enjoy wearing them. I still can't bring myself to wear bright eyeshadows though. I have small eyes/lids and I just feel silly doing it so tend to use eyeliner instead. If I get my make up done by a professional I tend to like the shadows they use but I'm rubbish with shadows and I'm not fussed about wearing them so I've deliberately avoided tutorials etc.

So with The minus 13 days until baby arrives I decided to take advantage of the Boots baby event and got some free INs:

60g sanctuary spa ultimate salt scrub sachet
    75ml sanctuary spa cleansing burst body wash
    15ml refreshing eye roll-on

I'd forgotten to mention another free IN I got from work as a maternity present :

Neutrogena hand cream 30ml

I also managed to swap my TBS Seaweed oil control lotion for the gel but due to the gel being cheaper than the lotion they encouraged me to buy something else as it was a bit of a palava with their till system so I picked up the cheapest thing I could see which was:

Honeydew hand cream 30ml

UUs:

TBS Seaweed night serum - I've got another in my stash. I think I like this but I'm not sure. I don't like the initial smell and texture when it's first applied but I think it does the job. I guess I'm just used to creams.

Gonna try to do some pampering today so may have more to report later.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend!
    #27 £2016 in 2016 = £763.61

#42 £2 Savers Club = £160

*Savers Club not included in overall 2016 savings until the tin is opened and my estimates have been confirmed later in the year.
  • One of the huge spots I was on about came to a head this morning, I tried to pop it, and now it looks the worst it ever has :(

Basically there has been this slightly red lump just under my eyebrow for the last few weeks at least. When I first saw it I was like "oh that'll come up in a couple days, I'll pop it then it'll go down" but no. It never came up, I couldn't pop it and it just sat there looking all red and angry but I couldn't do anything to it.

Then this morning I saw a little whitehead on it, and I was like "ohhhh yes finally!" But now I've popped it, where the whitehead was it just looks like I've taken a huge chunk of skin out of my eyebrow! :mad: :rotfl:

I've literally never had a raised red lump type spot for this long before. The worst part was, when I went to pop it, only the tiniest bit of stuff came out! :(

Can anyone give me any tips as to how I might be able to help it go down or some such? :o

Ah the joys of spots I too have some bad ones at the moment and my skin had had a spell of being good!

My main advice would be to just leave it well alone now to let it heal. I think as a general rule it's best to not pop but I have had the odd one in my time that has been sooooo hilariously big I've had to. What can be good is using an acidic facial product (such as those pads that contain either a low amount of glycolic or other acid) and then use nourishing products on top. I find generally for my skin oils work well as they trick my face into making less oil. I think the weather change has led to a bit of caos on my for my lips are super super chapped too. Also a bit worried that my replacement Emma Hardie facial oil options have made me break out. Or it could be due to the horrid Bliss products from M&S that gave me a reaction.

I had a very stressful day at work yesterday so I might try to have a pamper to day and use up some samples. UUs going slow. Not sure how to tackle my spotty face though!!

I soooo want to do a lush order when I get paid but I sooooooo can't afford it!!! Maybe I can hold off until Christmas I usually ask for a lush box from my parents or sister.
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,819
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have UUed the 250ml bottle of Australian Bodycare lotion. WDBA as its great for applying after shaving and on areas of dry or chaffed skin. Have seen a huge bottle on offer but have a tube of Savlon that will do the job and am wondering whether my Peppermint cream lotion will have same antibacterial properties.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Ah the joys of spots I too have some bad ones at the moment and my skin had had a spell of being good!

My main advice would be to just leave it well alone now to let it heal. I think as a general rule it's best to not pop but I have had the odd one in my time that has been sooooo hilariously big I've had to. What can be good is using an acidic facial product (such as those pads that contain either a low amount of glycolic or other acid) and then use nourishing products on top. I find generally for my skin oils work well as they trick my face into making less oil. I think the weather change has led to a bit of caos on my for my lips are super super chapped too. Also a bit worried that my replacement Emma Hardie facial oil options have made me break out. Or it could be due to the horrid Bliss products from M&S that gave me a reaction.

I had a very stressful day at work yesterday so I might try to have a pamper to day and use up some samples. UUs going slow. Not sure how to tackle my spotty face though!!

I soooo want to do a lush order when I get paid but I sooooooo can't afford it!!! Maybe I can hold off until Christmas I usually ask for a lush box from my parents or sister.

Thank you for the advice Houseplant :o

Work is getting busier for me too now in the run up to Christmas.

I'm dead set on using up as much as I can this side of Christmas as one of my new years resolutions is to try and get into routines in a few aspects of my life, one of them being to do with skincare :o

I also need to make some space in my room :rotfl:
  • What do people make of Simple products?

That is mainly what my stash consists of that I'll move onto once I've UU'ed my UU items :)
  • I have INS, my love lula box came. Was in need of a cleanser as two are about to be UU so this one is very timely! also got a lip balm and my lips are feeling the temperature changes.
    One of the huge spots I was on about came to a head this morning, I tried to pop it, and now it looks the worst it ever has :(

Basically there has been this slightly red lump just under my eyebrow for the last few weeks at least. When I first saw it I was like "oh that'll come up in a couple days, I'll pop it then it'll go down" but no. It never came up, I couldn't pop it and it just sat there looking all red and angry but I couldn't do anything to it.

Then this morning I saw a little whitehead on it, and I was like "ohhhh yes finally!" But now I've popped it, where the whitehead was it just looks like I've taken a huge chunk of skin out of my eyebrow! :mad: :rotfl:

I've literally never had a raised red lump type spot for this long before. The worst part was, when I went to pop it, only the tiniest bit of stuff came out! :(

Can anyone give me any tips as to how I might be able to help it go down or some such? :o

my skin is doing the exact same thing and i get married in two weeks! :eek: I'm thinking of going back to my liz earle moisturiser and cleanser, using the same things morning and night and properly stripping my routine back to let it heal.

Last thing i need too as I'm currently in the middle of a dress based nightmare. Last Friday the people i'd ordered my dress from said they can't make it in time despite the order being placed well within the guidelines on their website and refunded me so I've had to come up with and buy dress plan B this week. Was probably for the best as my mums friend has done some digging since and thinks they may have just been putting on a front they are UK based and are actually in China and the dress would have been terrible if it had come so it sounds like it may have been for the best!!

I only ordered it as i got absolutely sick to death of being mithered by my friends and family so i bought the first dress that went in my "acceptable" pile purely to shut them all up. They acted like nuclear war has just been announced when they found out the dress was no more and this time i stuck to my guns, told them i knew my own style and i didn't care what i wore so long as i felt amazing and i still looked liked me in the mirror. I went out shopping on my own, completely took the pressure off and said if i was shopping for a outfit for a big night out where would i go and what would i buy and i had the outfit done in an hour in the first shop i went in as i went where i knew i liked the clothes rather than the party dress section which just isn't me at all.

I'm now wearing a gorgeous corset from Agent Provocateur (was going there anyway for underwear so its not like this was totally out of the blue!) that gives me and hourglass figure and makes me look like I've lost a half a stone and spent the past six months doing sit ups, a ralph lauren blouse that is totally my style and i will wear again to death and the most amazing pair of black jeans that fit like a glove and don't look like jeans. i just thought the times when i can say I've honestly thought to myself you look good tonight were always involving gorgeous heels, skinny jeans and a nice floaty top so thats exactly what I've bought.

needless to they all had a fit when they found out but I've told them essentially its my day, this is my style, I look like me and i feel amazing and if thats not what matters to them and they'd rather force me to be stared at by over 100 people whilst i feel i look fat and awful and have photos of me in a dress i despise they all need to take a step back and remind themselves what this day is actually about. My friends have said once they recovered from the shock that i actually do look like me and are now campaigning for the blouse to be ditched altogether as the corset is so amazing and my mum has talked my dad down so they've at least accepted it.

Ive been saying all along to them all this is turning into a wedding and not a marriage and this was properly the last straw for me when they kicked off and started dictating to me what id wear on my own wedding day. it got so bad with the rows it was only when i turned round and said id had enough of the whole thing and I'm not going lets see how far this wedding gets without me they actually realised how badly they'd all been making me feel and how much it'd spiralled out of control. We had to close our savings accounts yesterday to pay the venue and its finally hit OH just how much money has gone on this one day and why I've been saying all along that people needed to have a reality check on what this whole thing was about.
  • Wow evilsquid! I really hope something like that doesn't happen to me whenever I get married.

I'm glad you put everyone in their place tho. As you say it's YOUR wedding day, YOUR marriage, and the day is all about YOU! :o

Good luck with any remaining plans and enjoy your big day! :D
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,979
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Oh evilsquid what a nightmare you have had to go through, it is so unfair of families to dictate their wants above yours, but well done for sticking out for what you really want, I am sure that you will look and feel fantastic and have a lovely day.

sorry that both you and Gemma are suffering with skin problems, cannot offer any help, except to say be very kind and gentle with your cleansing etc, no harsh products. The stress that you have both had to go through recently cannot have helped either. My all time skin guru Caroline Hirons aka beauty mouth blog has some cheat sheets of acne and breakouts, might be worth a read. When I get bad allergic reactions on my face I always revert for a while to La Roche Posay Serozinc spray as a toner (gleaned from La Hirons LOL) also one of their gentle cleansers (just been and checked it is LRP Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser) A whopping great daily dose of good quality fish oil ought to help too:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,819
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Evilsquid you are right to wear what you want on your day. Weddings do tend to become all consuming. I hope you have a fantastic day. Probably returning to the Liz Earle regime will help as it is gentle. Take care X

Another UU : LUSH Karma soap. I've been using this at the basin in the bathroom and noticed today it had gone squishy. Have finished it off to wash my make up brushes/sponges.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • I have INS, my love lula box came. Was in need of a cleanser as two are about to be UU so this one is very timely! also got a lip balm and my lips are feeling the temperature changes.

my skin is doing the exact same thing and i get married in two weeks! :eek: I'm thinking of going back to my liz earle moisturiser and cleanser, using the same things morning and night and properly stripping my routine back to let it heal.

Last thing i need too as I'm currently in the middle of a dress based nightmare. Last Friday the people i'd ordered my dress from said they can't make it in time despite the order being placed well within the guidelines on their website and refunded me so I've had to come up with and buy dress plan B this week. Was probably for the best as my mums friend has done some digging since and thinks they may have just been putting on a front they are UK based and are actually in China and the dress would have been terrible if it had come so it sounds like it may have been for the best!!

I only ordered it as i got absolutely sick to death of being mithered by my friends and family so i bought the first dress that went in my "acceptable" pile purely to shut them all up. They acted like nuclear war has just been announced when they found out the dress was no more and this time i stuck to my guns, told them i knew my own style and i didn't care what i wore so long as i felt amazing and i still looked liked me in the mirror. I went out shopping on my own, completely took the pressure off and said if i was shopping for a outfit for a big night out where would i go and what would i buy and i had the outfit done in an hour in the first shop i went in as i went where i knew i liked the clothes rather than the party dress section which just isn't me at all.

I'm now wearing a gorgeous corset from Agent Provocateur (was going there anyway for underwear so its not like this was totally out of the blue!) that gives me and hourglass figure and makes me look like I've lost a half a stone and spent the past six months doing sit ups, a ralph lauren blouse that is totally my style and i will wear again to death and the most amazing pair of black jeans that fit like a glove and don't look like jeans. i just thought the times when i can say I've honestly thought to myself you look good tonight were always involving gorgeous heels, skinny jeans and a nice floaty top so thats exactly what I've bought.

needless to they all had a fit when they found out but I've told them essentially its my day, this is my style, I look like me and i feel amazing and if thats not what matters to them and they'd rather force me to be stared at by over 100 people whilst i feel i look fat and awful and have photos of me in a dress i despise they all need to take a step back and remind themselves what this day is actually about. My friends have said once they recovered from the shock that i actually do look like me and are now campaigning for the blouse to be ditched altogether as the corset is so amazing and my mum has talked my dad down so they've at least accepted it.

Ive been saying all along to them all this is turning into a wedding and not a marriage and this was properly the last straw for me when they kicked off and started dictating to me what id wear on my own wedding day. it got so bad with the rows it was only when i turned round and said id had enough of the whole thing and I'm not going lets see how far this wedding gets without me they actually realised how badly they'd all been making me feel and how much it'd spiralled out of control. We had to close our savings accounts yesterday to pay the venue and its finally hit OH just how much money has gone on this one day and why I've been saying all along that people needed to have a reality check on what this whole thing was about.

You go girl! That outfit sounds amazing I bet you look incredible. Try not let everyone get to you people seem to do strange things in the context of weddings. My parents got married in secret and wore jeans and a blouse/jeans and a comedy tshirt. I often think about what I want from a wedding and I get confused about all the options! I reckon I may well end up doing it in secret if I do. Need to start having chats about these things with OH.....he's the one for me and I think he feels the same but I'd like to know!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure