PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Help please

Hi,

Currently own a house worth £140k with £90k equity and was planning on taking £45k equity out for deposit on a second house costing £300k which would be our main residence with our old house a BTL. We knew we would have to pay £5k Stamp duty and we can just about manage this but here in lies the problem. Financial Advisor says that is all the SD to pay, spoke to Solicitor who said we would have to pay more like £14k so we spoke to a second solicitor who says we should only have to pay £5k but we might have to pay £14k and get a refund from the tax man.

As you can imagine this is all very stressful as we have had an offer accepted based on the FA advice and now this has come up.

Any help gratefully received,

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• The SDLT you will pay is undoubtedly £14k. You will only get a refund of £9k if you sell house 1 within 3 years of buying house 2.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You have to pay £14k SDLT as you are buying a second home.
    If you sell the old home within 3 years you will get the surcharge refunded (£9k).
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Get a new FA, the current one knows sweet FA and I wonder what else he is misadvising you about?

And you only get the refund if you sell the BTL within 3 years (as stated by other posters) not as a matter of course as the second solicitor indicates (or you imply)

With such a slapdash approach to the whole thing, and being on the edge with costs, are you aware what is involved being a landlord? The financial implications? The risks? The costs? The legal requirements?
  • robbay
    robbay Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you all for your advice. In response to AnotherJoe the second solicitor said we should be ok but might have to claim it back and nothing was implied by me. Also not sure about the slapdash bit as a lot of thought has gone in to this decision including seeking expert advice.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    robbay wrote: »
    Currently own a house worth £140k with £90k equity and was planning on taking £45k equity out for deposit on a second house costing £300k which would be our main residence with our old house a BTL.

Will you incomes pass the affordability criteria to support a mortgage debt of £350k?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The additional SDLT for purchasing additional residential properties has been discussed numberous times on the forum before on a near daily basis.

The higher rate SDLT is given on the .gov.uk website: https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-tax/residential-property-rates

HMRC produced this guidance note:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/509184/GuidanceNote_Final.pdf

So it's quite worrying that your FA and a solicitor are giving you duff advice.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thank you all for your advice. In response to AnotherJoe the second solicitor said we should be ok but might have to claim it back and nothing was implied by me. Also not sure about the slapdash bit as a lot of thought has gone in to this decision including seeking expert advice.

Then unless you told the second solicitor you were planning to keep your BTL for only a couple of years or so and certainly sell before three had passed, they had no grounds at all to say you could claim it back. None, zero nada, nil.

You also are admittedly stretched to the limit ( cannot afford the extra £9k) yet there will be many costs involved in having a BTL. How much buffer do you have set aside to pay for those?

And you've somehow found both a solicitor and an IFA who don't understand the most basic facts of stamp duty amd have given you wholly misleading information upon which your financial plans have seemingly been based.

I stand by slapdash.
  • robbay
    robbay Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Update: The solicitor who claims we can pay the money back has sent an email stating:

With regard to the tax (Stamp Duty) I confirm as discussed that as from 1st April this year the Inland Revenue charge an additional 3% for a second property although this is not applicable to a main residence

In your case I note instructions that you will be letting your current property and the new property will be your main residence

The additional duty should not therefore be payable

However the IR will often require the additional duty to be paid and then require you to produce evidence to reclaim the payment after completion

If instructed I will liaise with the IR and check their requirements

Please advise as after reading about this I think he is wrong.

Thanks,

Rob
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,759 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2016 at 12:51PM
    Please advise as after reading about this I think he is wrong.

He's wrong. If you are purchasing a second or subsequent property you are only exempt from paying the higher SDLT if you are REPLACING your main residence - i.e. you are selling the house you currently live in and intend to live full time in the house you are purchasing.

You could point him to the government website here to support this (although why you should need to when he's supposed to be the 'expert' is another matter ....)

https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-tax/residential-property-rates

(N.B. We're all assuming that you live in England or Wales)
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The solicitor is wrong and why is he referring to HMRC as IR? The Inland Revenue dissolved in April 2005! He sounds out of touch. Email him the links I gave you and tell the solicitor to read them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure