Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Comments

• pepdavies wrote: »
    It was £60 but £15 off when you spend £30 on groceries. So £45 if you do your usual shop there. I bought it last weekend in Chard, Somerset. Bargain!
    OK, so I'm presuming this is an 'Extra' store. Are you sure it wasn't a return, i.e. was the seal intact? Was it locked to Voda or TM?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    mikegahan wrote: »
    For Jem 16 - Download and install a free app called Onavo Count from Google Play store, it reports any app that is using a lot of dat and counts the data that each app uses

Thanks. Have installed that. I had also installed Mt Data Plan and this morning I noticed that when I first switched on the phone, Updates app apparently used up almost 1Mb connecting via mobile internet even though Wi-Fi is set up. This is a Vodafone app which I have set not to update.
  • OK, so I'm presuming this is an 'Extra' store. Are you sure it wasn't a return, i.e. was the seal intact? Was it locked to Voda or TM?

Just an ordinary store. Was locked to Vodafone but not for long. Brand new as far as I can tell.
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jem16 wrote: »
    Since switched on this morning it says;

34m 56s on battery

Mobile standby 33%
    Wi-Fi 31%
    Phone idle 21%
    Display 15%

That's much the same as it said all day yesterday too apart from it being on around 14 hours or so.

Tap mobile standby and see what it's time without signal value is (if it has one). The higher thatits, the higher your battery use will be as it searches for a signal.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Rusty! wrote: »
    Tap mobile standby and see what it's time without signal value is (if it has one). The higher thatits, the higher your battery use will be as it searches for a signal.

At the moment it says 0% out of 5hrs25m57s.

I'll keep that in mind when at work on Monday where we first noticed the problem.

I decided to do a factory reset as I couldn't figure out what was causing problem. Seems to be fine at the moment but will monitor it over the next few days.
  • pledgeX
    pledgeX Posts: 527 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2012 at 7:51AM
    I got this today for £74.95 via this deal:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-g300-ascend-smartphone-102-95-72-95-with-credit-acct-down-possible-67-01-1283781
    Will get a further £6 off if it tracks ok via TCB. Cracking deal!

Step 1 for me is to get it unlocked. I've ordered an unlock code from eBay and an Orange sim. Hopefully that'll all work nicely.

Question to you folk; who's updated to android version 4 (ICS)?
    Did (can) you do it automatically via the phone itself, or do you have to connect it to a computer an do it manually? If you can do it automatically on the phone, will I have to do it before I unlock it or after? I'm worried that if I do it before then it will mess up the unlock procedure after or it will rollback to v2.3 after the unlock. Similarly I'm worried if I try to upgrade after the unlock I wont be able to update as it's no longer set to Vodafone, or that it will cancel the unlock so I'll need to get a new code. Anyone done this?
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    jem16 wrote: »
    How are people finding the battery life?

My friend bought this phone and I helped her set it up. All was fine for a few days when i was doing this via my WiFi - battery lasted a few days before it was charged again.

Set up APNs to get access to 3G. My friend was getting used to it last night on her own WiFi. Charged up last night.

This afternoon it had shut down just sitting on but with no use. Battery empty.

Currently charging up again but hopefully not a faulty phone as it's already been unlocked. Could something be draining it that we're not aware of?

I turn my Wi-fi off during the day and during the night-time & also the 3G Data switch, and so far I've got out of the phone before the "you've you under 30% warning comes on"
    3 days, 3 days, 2 days (I was using the Quidco app to "check in" at various shops during a shopping trip), 3 days, 5 days.

If I get an App killer to kill off those pesky apps which sit in the background running (ie Facebook) I would probably get more out of the battery. I don't need the data switched on during the day as most of the emails to my main account can wait til the evening.

Is there an easy way to disabling the voicemail button on the dialer or even to change it to another number?
  • pledgeX wrote: »
    You got what, exactly, for £4.95.......drunk?
  • I did mine up to ICS, a couple of reservations with it in that it has an annoying 'feature' of putting a growing list of recent call at the head of the contacts list when your going to dial someone so you have to scroll past them and you can't switch it off, whole forums of people hate it but there is a (not free) app on Play to fix it but you have to root the phone 1st!. Also no mobile internet control on the toggle widget now - I like to turn it off when I won't need it for a long while to save power and stop any apps wasting data. Again there is a great (free) alternative widget on Play that does have it and more.

Well I upgraded mine to ICS before unlocking but my understandind is once unlocked it should stay unlocked as the IMEI stays the same. Vodaphone UK actually released an official ICS upgrade but then promptly withdrew it claiming it was a mistake and not ready. Now they are dragging their feet and blaming the manufacturer. So you could wait and see, it was promised and would upgrade simply via the phone.

There are various other version on the web from around the world and ways of getting it on the phone, some people install various things to root the phone and install boot loaders etc so they can chop and change ROMs at will.

If you just want to upgrade its a lot simpler, just a case of downloading and unzipping a folder onto an SD card (2gb will do). Then powering up the (fully charged!) phone whilst holding down both volume keys - will be done in 10 minutes.

I used a rom on HERE that is one of if not the latest version (940), its unbranded stock android 4.03 (apart from the start up splash screen). Its a great base to build on and has been working smoothly and reliably for me and many other report it so. It seems to be a version released by a Belarus phone network but its not customised with crap like we get here from Voda or Orange, and is in english.

Just a case of downloading V100R001C203B940.zip on above page, unzipping the 'dload' folder and its contents to a clean SD card.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • pledgeX
    pledgeX Posts: 527 Forumite
    You got what, exactly, for £4.95.......drunk?
    Lol, £74.95. Edited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport