We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Comments

• kipper_2-2
    kipper_2-2 Posts: 56,025 Forumite
    Ummmm...

Saddo!

:D :rotfl:
  • dmcd06
    dmcd06 Posts: 24
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you know of any other useful sites to help me to answer questions? I know you mentioned oneacross and the sudoku helper..........but I need all the help I can get.

Any other sites you can think of please??
  • Stemma
    Stemma Posts: 799
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks I've only just started comping and you have given me a lot of good advice :beer:
    Sometimes later becomes never. ...
  • totebag
    totebag Posts: 675 Forumite
    great post really very useful will keep popping in and out to find help.
    thanks for all your hard work!!

“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.” - John Lennon

• VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dmcd06 wrote: »
    Do you know of any other useful sites to help me to answer questions? I know you mentioned oneacross and the sudoku helper..........but I need all the help I can get.

Any other sites you can think of please??

To be honest, if it is a general knowledge/film/tv show etc question then I will just use Google to find a site with the answer. Although I am a bit OCD & make sure that a few different sites have the same answer :D

I've used Google Image too, to try to help with some of the newspaper comps which have pictures that need to be identified, but often you need half an idea of what you are looking for with those to be able to find what you need :rolleyes:

There are only a couple of reasons that I can think of for the comps posted on here not to have the answers already posted:
    • It is a site that has specifically asked us not to post the answers - they would then usually be found by searching around on the website which is hosting the comp.
    • The OP [original poster] has asked for help with the answer/s - cue the MSE Compers scampering off trying to look up & find answers & posting suggestions on the thread, so everyone will have the right answers when they enter.
    If it is a particular type of puzzle that you need help solving then yell out, otherwise I'm hoping this will have shed some light on the matter for you? :)

Stemma wrote: »
    Thanks I've only just started comping and you have given me a lot of good advice :beer:
    totebag wrote: »
    great post really very useful will keep popping in and out to find help.
    thanks for all your hard work!!
    You're both welcome :) If you come across anything that isn't in the Guide which would help then please just post on this thread & I can see about including it :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    Ok folks, I've added index numbers to each item in each section. The code won't work on here to hyper link to each question & answer from the top post unfortunately, but hopefully it will be a bit easier to locate things within each section now with the numbers.

If you are pointing someone towards the Comping Guide then you may find the numbers help to pin it down a bit more as to where the person should be looking in particular :)

Don't forget, if you have any hints/tips which aren't already in the Guide then please do post them on this thread! Any questions you have too, can be posted in this thread & either myself or another Comper who is around at the time will come back to you with an answer & I can think about including it in the Guide for future reference :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • Thanks - I wish I had read this earlier. I entered about 20 comps earlier today and ticked all the boxes agreeing to newsletters and further contact because I thought they would not let me win otherwise. AGhhhhhhhhhhh
    I will see if I win if I dont click those boxes.
  • VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    Oh you poor thing! There really is no point in receiving calls or junk mail for things you aren't interested in :) Many Compers don't tick the boxes & it doesn't seem to affected our chances, although with the majority of comps it is simply luck who will win.

Good luck with your comps, I hope you have your first win soon :)
  • I just wanted to further promote the search tip given by Tasuke earlier:
    Tasuke wrote: »
    I have a searching-related tip, if it's of any use. It's a way of checking for competitions specifically fitting one's interests, whether a given competition has already been posted, looking for things ending on a specific date, and so on, for those who prefer the interface of Google.

What you need to do is enter your terms in quotation marks, "like so" (you can add several if you wish - you must add "competition" or "competitions" as one of them, though, to restrict the search to, well, competitions ;) ), and add site:forums.moneysavingexpert.com after your search terms. Here's an example of how this should look;

googlesearchingan6.png

This is really useful when it comes to entering competitions that expire on a certain day. As there's usually a shed load of competitions ending at the end of months, I find it's a useful way of getting a head start!

Good work Tasuke in pointing this out!
  • VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    Cheers sickboyedd :) I have already included Tasuke's tip in the Guide, Posting Comps section, item 2 - but if you have any tips on adding to it to achieve comps that end on a certain date I'll gladly add that too?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure