Options
124»

Comments

• patpending
    patpending Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nikshah wrote: »
    I found this and was a bit confused. I got in touch with the company at 44 (0)208 946 7777 and found that actually, although I had discussed taking out the policy (to repair my washing machine) I had actually not agreed to take it out. This was all in their records, but they had still taken three DD payments from my account when I noticed. It took about three phone calls to get it all sorted and the money refunded, but they never made any fuss about it.
    I have been dealing with Domestic & General for the last 20 years and they are a very reputable company with a UK call centre.

My mistake, when I bought a Miele fridge-freezer, was not to be certain that D & G had taken my cheque for the 6-year warranty [it was a long time ago! ;) ]. They hadn't, they spent ages trying to locate my payment, they eventually confirmed that the policy had never started. D'oh.

If I took out a new annual policy they would cover a repair up to £250 even though my fridge was certainly not working so I took it out. However, my stupid fridge was a £400 repair (more than a new fridge-freezer!) - I was daft to believe that the Liebherr-made Miele was particularly reliable! - and although the insurance got me the call-out and diagnosis free, the deal was that the insurance would then be cancelled.

I had the letter confirming this would be the case.

I have been adding new DDs this year but it was only today that I noticed I wasn't sure what DGS was and rang them that I realised they had been taking my money. Thank you for this thread and to nikshah from many years ago for the geographic phone number.

I should have been checking my bank statements more carefully. I had thought these were magazine subscriptions!

Domestic & General are a great company and I look forward to dealing with them again.
  • McTattie
    Options
    I arranged a D&G extended warranty on an Indesit washing machine as we urgently needed a repair, however we decided the next day to just purchase a new machine, and phoned to cancel it. Six weeks later I have just phoned for the second time to request that they cancel the Direct Debit and refund the two payments they have now taken.

D&G do not inspire confidence when, having chosen the 'register a complaint' option, they take 43 1/2 minutes to answer (they must have a lot of complaints to deal with just now - I can appreciate why). However in fairness they say they will refund the two payments they have taken 'within 14 days' - I'm sure they don't take that long to start taking payments.

I shall steer well clear of them in future.

McTattie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport