Working with a young family

Options

Comments

• Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    I'm a mechanic and so my hours tended be 8-6 and then the garage I worked for also offered calls out, as part of my role I worked with apprentices. At this time my youngest was five, I took a year off when he came to me (adopted), as he was at school this solved a lot of childcare issues financially, but generally in the week when he was awake I was at work.

Things needed to change but I couldn't afford to work part time as I was a single parent, when my son had been in year 1 for about three weeks we had two more apprentices and so three days a week I was purely working with apprentices and teaching them various aspects of mechanics etc. It then became a bit mundane to be working on cars just to solve problems, so I started looking into whether or not it was possible to teach vehicle mechanics full time and it was.

I had a good look around and did some research, I also approached the college who supplied our apprentices and spoke to them to see if they could aid me with the options available, then nothing happened for a few weeks. I then had a phone call from the college as they intended to run a vehicle mechanics course where students would attend college for 2.5 days and a garage for 2.5 days. Despite having no formal qualifications in education my experience in the subject and working with apprentices for the previous three years led to me eventually gaining employment with them and during my first year they funded my training so I am now also qualified to teach.

While still fairly long hours this gave me the luxury of leaving college at 4pm to pick my son up from school, play with him, do homework, bath etc and then when he was in bed I could continue with my work. This is a role I am still in, however I now teach at a school with a sixth form, this is part time at the moment but I will be full time in September, so I still have the luxury of being able to do a lot of work in my own time when my daughter is in bed, our youngest is quite poorly and in hospital and as he is mainly sleeping sometimes I even do work while I'm with him.

Oh that is very interesting to hear, and I have thought about teaching accountancy for the similar reasons you outline.

Just one question - how many further hours do you work when child is in bed? Is it working at home until 11pm or is it better than that?
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    Oh that is very interesting to hear, and I have thought about teaching accountancy for the similar reasons you outline.

Just one question - how many further hours do you work when child is in bed? Is it working at home until 11pm or is it better than that?

It depends on the time of the year really, as the public are invited to use our services I have to keep in depth records of any repairs that were carried out, who carried them out, who witnessed it (me or the other teacher), what parts were used and exactly how competent was the student e.g. did they need any input from myself to correctly diagnose a problem and rectify.

Then I have to work on the theory side, you can plan in advance to a certain degree, however things tend not to go to plan as different students work at different speeds and often a question means you have to do a completely different theory lesson the next time you teach, otherwise questions would have to wait until the end of term by which time the answer wouldn't be as relevant as it isn't about something they are currently doing.

Then there are department responsibilities, updating data, e.g. the progress of each student both with levels (effort, behaviour and attainment) alongside written information.

I then have to liaise with the garages where they undertake work experience, this includes seeing how the students are doing, but also organising the actual placement including things like insurance, risk assessment etc and ensuring that the garage provides information about all things the student did while on placement.

Obviously at the minute its the summer holidays so I'm not up to much, my students carry on with their garage placements for four weeks of the summer holidays so I still pop in to see them once a week and if its a day when my daughter isn't at nursery I just take her with me. She goes to bed at 7ish so I tend to work from then until about ten during term time, however at the start of the year until about November, and then from around April - July its often midnight and working a lot at the weekends as there are a lot of things to sort in a very short space of time.

While on most days I can just leave at four, if a student needs extra help I have to stay behind to help them, however I am able to ask the nursery to drive her to school if it is a day when my wife is working and she'll happily play while my students and I get on with it. If its isn't theory based work she stays at nursery for longer, as I have to get parents permission for after school sessions I have long enough to give her nursery adequate notice.
  • Charlton_Taz
    Charlton_Taz Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its a difficult one. Both my OH and I are accountants (working in industry rather than practice) and we both work full time (our DD is 3). The way its worked for us (so far) is I have ended up in a less demanding job than I was doing before we had our DD. This generally means my office time is spent doing a 9-5.15, whilst our daughter is in nursery. My OH's office hours can easily be until 6.30, but by that time he always tries to come home so we can have dinner/family time. Bedtime for our daughter has always been around 8.00 - 8.30. She gets up around 7.30...so gets 11 hours sleep a night which seems to be ok for her.

Work-wise my OH generally then has to use his laptop to catch up on work after her bedtime (me less so, but option is there if I have work to do). Both our employers are happy with this, as we still get our work done. Its tiring, and you have to be organised but it generally works pretty well!
  • Nenen
    Nenen Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Options

Various time studies have shown that most teachers work beteen 50-54 hours per week, (more in the first year) with a lot of work being done evenings and weekends. I frequently work until midnight. Although teachers obviously get more holidays than many workers, they are also expected to do a certain amount of work in their holidays too.

This firm might help give an idea of how setting up on your own might be an option for improving work/life balance:
    http://www.tayloraccountancy.net/about-us/
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have spoken to my employers about my hours and whilst they were willing to help where possible, the answer was that I was required to complete whatever hours needed to complete the job. So they could not guarantee what time I could be home by or even what time I was required to be there in the morning. From what I see, there is a long hours culture where if you leave before 6, you are seen to not have enough work.

If this is what your employers say, then hold them to it.

Arrive at 7.30. Get your work done. Leave at 5pm.

Keep a diary of what you are doing and when.

I agree the "What you are seen to be doing" is a hard one to fight, hence the suggestion of the diary. Make it very known to your line manager you are getting in early so you can leave early. And repeat it again and again and again. Tell the boss how you love your job, you love your daughter and remind him of how great the company is as it's so family friendly by giving you the freedom to manage your heavy workload to get the best of both worlds. :D

Stick your stake in the ground and go from there.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Been through this in the same profession.

I used to work it on the basis that I'd be in for 9 and leave when I could get away which with short lunch breaks etc wasn't too bad and I could normally be home by just gone 6:30.

Part of it is working the home routine to fit around what you need to do - kids are adaptable and even when they are little and need loads of sleep will work to some extent around a slightly later bedtime bearing in mind they will be up again for a feed etc.

We had little choice anyway as my OH didn't have the energy levels due to health problems to do it all, so I used to get up and have time with the kids until I left for work, and then get home and do what was left of bedtime and stories before sorting our food out. On occasion that meant having a baby amusing themselves on the bathroom floor (having safety checked it!) whilst I had a quick shower, I gave them breakfast 99% of the time to the point that if it was mum they thought it was a novelty (and even now the eldest if he occasionally wants porridge insists I make it as "mum doesn't make it properly" - she does just differently to me!). We still have breakfast as a 3 whilst mum is getting her shower etc - which does lead to some interestingly random breakfast converstations now they are in school and learning various topics - we did rock formations a while back!.

Also because my OH needed her sleep as much if not more than I did, it was often me that got up to them in the night - again even now they know that I am more likely to get up if they shout in the night.

To be fair if you are working in practice rather than industry you will be under more pressure to get the chargeable hours on the clock if you want to progress etc, whereas I was more able to control how much I made of the job. However from my experience there is plenty you can make of the home time - kids will until they are 6ish be up and bouncing about far earlier than you'd naturally be so be up with them and make something of that time - which is also when they are fresh and awake and ready to learn rather than winding down at bed time.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • betti911
    betti911 Posts: 819 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

With changing baby's routine I am not sure it is a good idea. All the advice I read about bringing up babies is that they should have a settled routine with set hours - I would hate to change the routine, have her going to bed later and then being grumpy all day long or not developing as she should. Plus when I do work later, I am too tired to give any proper attention to my daughter.

Babies are very adaptable and if she is grumpy it would prob only be for a couple of nights. Surely if she got to see daddy more it would be better in the long-term.

As for you being too tired to give your daughter proper attention when you work late that is your issue to work out. As a working mummy I have to put my day job behind me,no matter how long long or hard it's been, slot into mummy mode and bond with my baby. It's hard but worth it.
    Jan 1st 07 Car loan £4830.46@12% Personal Loan £11,517@8% variable Overdraft £1500 July 2009Halifax-£0Debt free date 14th July 2009 :j
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    Assuming you are in full time employment, if you have any, what are your contracted hours? Personally I've been in this situation before and just thought Sod Them, family comes first. They can't sack or discipline you for not working overtime or extra hours. If you have too much work to do in your contracted hours, that's a company staffing issue. OK an hour here or there fair enough, but it should not be the "Norm". Make them aware you have a young family and a this time you need to be there for them..
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I just reassure all new mums and dads out there who are worried about the amount of time that they are able to spend with their little children.

When we started our family in 1966, it was the norm for mothers to leave work when pregnant (11 weeks before, I seem to remember was when maternity benefit kicked in) and fathers were not particularly hands-on. My OH was commuting to work - would leave at 7.30, get home about 7.30, and I was the one who had most of the pleasure (and aggravation) of looking after the little ones. At first, babies were tucked up by 6.30 - but would have a late evening feed - which daddy would always give - and also the very early morning feed would be given with all three - then four, then five of us snuggled in bed together.

As they grew up, bathtime was held up until Daddy was home - he would do baths whilst I cooked dinner, then we'd both do the bedtime story.

Weekends he was very much hands-on - as were most of the other dads that we knew - families and friends.

When I went back to work, I worked locally and so it was down to me to get them off to school - and when he changed jobs and started working locally it really did upset the equilibrium for the first few weeks!

What I am rambling on about here is that now, my children have very fond memories of their dad making up games in the bath, his bedtime stories - which they are now recounting to their children - so please don't worry about the impact working all hours has on your children - its the quality of time that matters, not the quantity.

Regards and respect to all parents of little ones who are struggling work/family life balance - its not easy.
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Assuming you are in full time employment, if you have any, what are your contracted hours? Personally I've been in this situation before and just thought Sod Them, family comes first. They can't sack or discipline you for not working overtime or extra hours. If you have too much work to do in your contracted hours, that's a company staffing issue. OK an hour here or there fair enough, but it should not be the "Norm". Make them aware you have a young family and a this time you need to be there for them..

I agree, but in practice the contract would be 35 hours plus "whatever hours necessary to fulfill the job".

I'd love to have the guts not to do any uneccesary overtime, but with a young family, that is a big risk to take.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure