Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    haggis12 wrote: »
    My flight was delayed by 15 hours on 11/7/14 this ment my family & I were put up in a hotel with dinner etc.. but we were told twice by the check in staff we would get our outward flight fare refunded because of the length of delay. Having arrived back this morning I contacted the airline & was told "no that's incorrect & you shouldn't have been told that, you can claim compensation but that's all" Is this correct or should I try & fight my corner?

If the delay is over 5 hours you are entitled to compensation plus a refund of the flight if you do not take the flight (aimed at people who decide not to travel due to the excessive delay) If you used the flight ticket then no refund is due.
    Many of the airlines use handling agents and it sounds like they were giving incorrect information - were you given this in writing as it is certainly not correct
  • I thought I would share my fantastic news that easyjet have just paid out 1200euros for a flight delay 10/7/14 from zante to lgw due to a technical problem.
    As soon as I arrived home I went to the MSE site and downloaded the template for compensation for three passengers at 400 Euros pp
    I must say easy jet came back to me within a few days and confirmed that my claim would be paid.
    I have just checked my account and the money has arrived.
    Thank you MSE and also a big thank you to Easy jet for putting their hands up and and dealing with my claim so efficiently
  • JP1901
    JP1901 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Hi - can anyone tell me if it is worth me trying to claim for the following:
    20th Dec last year I flew from Manchester to Frankfurt for a connection onto Hannover, the Manchester flight was delayed by 39 mins (according to the flightstats website) because someone checked in & didn't show up for the flight, because of that delay I missed my connection to Hannover which flew at 9.40am - the next available flight was then not until almost 2pm - they didn't offer any refreshment vouchers etc - can I claim & if so what excuse do I use?

Thanks
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 July 2014 at 3:39PM
    JP1901 wrote: »
    if so what excuse do I use?

You don't need an excuse to claim you just need to fall within the relevant legislation. The FAQs explain what the legislation says.

Please post any questions not answered in the FAQs on the Lufthansa thread.
  • Hi Guys, would appreciate some help on what my next step should be. I contacted easyjet last week regarding compensation for 3+hr delay due to a technical fault and got this response today. Are they allowed to put it on hold like this?

Thank you for contacting easyJet.

I'm so sorry for the length of time it has taken for us to email you back. We have recently received a large amount of emails which is effecting our response times.

We are sorry that your flight was disrupted when travelling with us. In a recent ruling by the High Court of the United Kingdom it has been ruled that technical issues relating to the operation of the aircraft in most cases cannot be exempt from compensation. Whilst we were not specifically involved in this case it is our understanding that the airline involved is now seeking a further appeal in this matter to the Supreme Court. On this basis we are awaiting the outcome of the Supreme Court before considering our position further in relation to this.

Because of this we have put your case with us on hold; your case reference is XXXXX and can be quoted when corresponding with us.

Once the Supreme Court has ruled on this matter and we have determined that compensation is indeed payable we will contact you to arrange payment. We recognise that there are several claims companies operating that may claim they will be able to obtain compensation on your behalf earlier, charging you up to 30% of the value of the compensation; this is not the case as we will also be defending / holding these types of actions pending the outcome of the Supreme Court. We commit that once the legal process is complete, likely to be in mid to late 2015 and if compensation is owing we will pay this directly to you in full.

Whilst I appreciate that this is not the outcome you were hoping for we work really hard to keep our costs and ultimately your fares low. The potential increase in costs by paying compensation far in excess of the fare price places a huge financial burden on us as an airline and will ultimately lead higher fares for all which is not in the long-term consumer interest. It is for this reason that we are awaiting the outcome of the legal process before proceeding.

Kind Regards
  • Hi,

I wrote to BA using this template/approach.

I bought the ticket through BA but it was an Iberia operated flight.

Any suggestions? Can't find any links to Iberia on here...

BA Customer services responded with the below:

"Thank you for contacting us about your claim for compensation. I am sorry for the delay in our response.

Your claim for compensation has been refused because British Airways did not operate BA0512 on 26 May 2012. Please contact Iberia Airlines for further information.

Thank you again for following this up with us and I hope you will choose to fly with us or one of our partner airlines again soon."
  • dxc_chappie
    dxc_chappie Posts: 175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    'Delaying' my claim while they await High Court appeal - is this allowed?

It's allowed if you allow them to delay your claim!
    Hi Guys, would appreciate some help on what my next step should be.

Hopefully you will have read the FAQs and all the Huzar thread? What Easyjet has said is not quite true: Jet2.com have sought to appeal the Huzar judgment with the Supreme Court but the SC have not yet decided whether or not to allow the appeal. This probably won't be known until October now. If permission is given then the 2015 timescale Easjet mention may be realistic, but if permission is denied then there is no justification for EJ to delay your claim any longer.

You can either send a NBA and start court proceedings now or hold fire until the SC decision is known later this year.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dalaman9, your claim is against Iberia, it is the carrier, not the seller of the ticket, who is liable for any compensation. BA are correct in their response to you.
  • nids
    nids Posts: 106 Forumite
    3/1/2013 flight Toronto to London via Paris on an Air France flight.

Toronto - Paris flight was delayed by 165 mins, meaning I missed my connection to London. New London connection was also delayed by 26 minutes, meaning I arrived into London at 1411, rather than the original 1030.

Air France offered £50 per passenger compo back in Jan 2013 which I didn't reply to. I can't remember a time I use the vouchers, so they've expired (12 month expiry).

Can I complain again with a view to claiming the £240pp (19 minutes off a potential £480pp!)?
  • I had a delayed flight from Prague to Manchester back in 2010. It was with BMIBaby who no longer exist and BMI has been taken over by BA - is there anyway I can claim and who from?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback