Student loan on placement year

Next year I'll be living and working in the Republic of Ireland for my placement year. I'm curious if I'm still entitled to a student loan or if you're not allowed to take them on placement year or something daft like that?

University still want 600 quid in fees, for what I have no idea. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes you can apply are usual. You don't get full loans but you get partial. I got £22xx (can't remember exact) for matinence and £654 (as thats how much I needed) for tuition.
  • Awec
    Awec Posts: 261 Forumite
    Cheers. Good to know.

Still raging at the fact University want more money off me the greedy gits.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Awec wrote: »
    Cheers. Good to know.

Still raging at the fact University want more money off me the greedy gits.

Don't be so silly; they still have costs when you're on placement.
  • Awec
    Don't be so silly; they still have costs when you're on placement.
    £600 worth of costs caused by me?

I doubt it.
  • sosolidnix
    sosolidnix Posts: 21 Forumite
    I totally agree with that. Im on placement year and for me to pay £615 is pretty ridiculous. They say its to cover admin costs, access to uni facilities and placement visits. I have had one placement visit and I should get two a year. My placement ends in a month and to be honest I have not at all recieved £615 worth of services. Ive pretty much paid £615 to be a student who doesnt go to the university.
  • Oldernotwiser
    sosolidnix wrote: »
    I totally agree with that. Im on placement year and for me to pay £615 is pretty ridiculous. They say its to cover admin costs, access to uni facilities and placement visits. I have had one placement visit and I should get two a year. My placement ends in a month and to be honest I have not at all recieved £615 worth of services. Ive pretty much paid £615 to be a student who doesnt go to the university.

A placement visit abroad will cost in this region when you factor in flights, subsistence and staff time. Two visits would put it way over this amount which is probably why you've only had one.
  • Awec
    A placement visit abroad will cost in this region when you factor in flights, subsistence and staff time. Two visits would put it way over this amount which is probably why you've only had one.
    Bah I thanked this post by accident rather than clicking reply. :rotfl:

Anyway, how do you know his placement is abroad. My placement is in ROI and I'm in NI now. I can tell you hear and now that it doesn't cost 600 pieces of gold to travel from Belfast to Dublin.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Well they're also going in search for the treasure at the end of the rainbow! :D
  • Oldernotwiser
    Awec wrote: »
    Bah I thanked this post by accident rather than clicking reply. :rotfl:

Anyway, how do you know his placement is abroad. My placement is in ROI and I'm in NI now. I can tell you hear and now that it doesn't cost 600 pieces of gold to travel from Belfast to Dublin.

I never said that EVERYBODY's work placement was abroad but it's probably the more common reason for one these days. Even placements within the Mainland UK will be expensive to visit when you look at train fares and/or mileage costs. Staff costs will have to include time for arranging a visit and any admin associated with it.

If you're working in a business down the road from your university then you still have all the university facilities available to you, and most people in this situation would use them.
  • Awec
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Well they're also going in search for the treasure at the end of the rainbow! :D

We don't all wear wee green hats and grow ginger beards whilst dancing merrily round our wee pots of gold ye know. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure