On-grid domestic battery storage

Options

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... Just checked the history on another laptop's browser and found the source mentioned above if anyone's interested ..... ( http://www.windandsun.co.uk/products/Batteries/Lithium-Ion-Batteries/Mercedes-Benz-Energy-Storage-Home#.WPtHkaLau02 ) ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 April 2017 at 5:59PM
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    ... Just checked the history on another laptop's browser and found the source mentioned above if anyone's interested ..... ( http://www.windandsun.co.uk/products/Batteries/Lithium-Ion-Batteries/Mercedes-Benz-Energy-Storage-Home#.WPtHkaLau02 ) ...

HTH
    Z

Cheers, I found that very interesting. Would like to know if the £137 + VAT 'lid' is optional, when they say required ..... bleeding hell.

The battery packs seem really good, about the best in cycles, efficiency and price I've seen for small systems, though admittedly still lots of money, but £1,100 for 2.3kWh useable is good in comparison.

Shame the extras and the VAT add up, but certainly one to watch.

I assume from the tech sheets that it's a dumb system, because they list the inverters it's compatible with, but then so was the PWI, and things seem to move on fast, as the PWII DC model isn't being offered in Aus, just the AC model with in built inverter.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »

HTH
    Z

Hello again, a thought struck me this morning, this batt has a round trip efficiency of 97% (presumably in DC use), so that's not so bad for those on the older FiT rates. Though it would mean installing a compatible inverter, but perhaps as and when an inverter fails in the future. More options better than less.

Anyways, just a thought.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Al
    Here is a bit of a blog from greeningme,with quite a good breakdown of pv use and battery charging data and conclusions.
    Maybe worth a read.
    http://greening.me.uk/
    regards
    gefnew
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Looks like the best 6 months will give good storage and Immersun use:
    April numbers!

Electricity imported - 85kWh! (150kWh in April 2016)
    Generated - 301kWh (exactly the same as April 2016)
    Battery discharge - 102.88kWh
    ImmerSUN diversion - 54kWh (51kWh in April 2016)

So with decent generation, I've been able to get 100kWh out of the battery and make a big dent in consumption, whilst also then still sending about as much as last year into the ImmerSUN for free hot water!

That's about £15 in avoided electricity in one month - something I hope to be able to see continue throughout the summer months. Nice to have broken the 100kWh/month figure :)

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Battery storage gaining momentum, though I still think it's too expensive in the UK ...... but gotta start somewhere I suppose.

Mercedes-Benz enlists Innasol to aid UK storage push

Eaton to tackle home storage market with ‘an army’ of installers and support staff

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Large growth in PV and storage on the demand side predicted (kinda obvious I suppose)

Navigant: Distributed solar-plus-storage worth US$49 billion in less than 10 years

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Battery storage gaining momentum, though I still think it's too expensive in the UK ...... but gotta start somewhere I suppose.
    I was hoping that V2G would be arriving sooner than it looks as though it is going to as I'm getting an EV next month. Although still expensive, I think I will invest in battery storage as soon as I can scrape the cash together. This is on the understanding that people who can afford to be early adopters will bring price drop due to numbers sooner.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Hiya Chopper, there are lots of battery systems, most much smaller than the PWII, and many modular so you cab add more later on.

For example there's the Enphase systems which are only 1.2kWh and about 350W charge/discharge.

So if the prices fall far enough for the smaller systems it might well be a good idea to buy then. I'm clearly quite passionate about batts and their future, but the time isn't right yet unless you generate and import a ton of leccy still, but we'll get there. Australia is leading the charge as they have great generation, but also very high import prices, so the industry is developing, but it's probably where PV was 5yrs ago, so patience is needed in the UK. Drat!

All the best.
    OK Mart you can see that I am able to generate a lot of eleccy, but still appear to be consuming a lot also, say £30 a month, is this close to making a battery viable for me yet?

Hiya. My thoughts.

First off, my opinion, but I think prices will probably fall faster than savings will be earned for the next few years. So you are almost certainly going to be better off waiting. Also as costs fall, and hopefully life cycles or warranted cycles rise, then the cost of storing a kWh of leccy will also fall, which will improve your savings/returns.

Next. My way of calculating my savings and battery size, and it's crucial to point out that this is for me, as I genuinely don't know the best way to calculate this, nor exactly how it will vary from PV'er to PV'er. So here's the link to our previous discussion:
    Hiya. To start

So I think you need to do some number crunching, and I'm happy to help, in fact it should be interesting seeing the numbers from a different angle (higher import/export). Hopefully others will comment and assist so we start to get an idea how to do this.

So, are you able to make a reasonable guess at each months import and export broken down to a daily amount, to see how much of a batt's capacity you need and so we can see what can be displaced? I think a 4 way breakdown might be enough (Winter Dec-Feb, Summer June-Aug, Spring/Autumn Mch-May & Sep-Nov).

Can you supply import price, and I assume you get the 5p export rate, which might become a factor in the future. Savings will be import - cost of storage, or later on, import - (cost of storage + export rate).

• rugbyleaguesmate
    Options
    Hi Mart thank you my efforts are below, struggling with format.....

Electricity Consumption
    Kw 16.072p rate per kw including standing charge
    Mid Nov Mid Feb 1108
    Mid Aug Mid Nov 777
    Mid Jun Mid Aug 802
    ex imp exp/d imp/d
    June 267
    July 267
    Aug 259
    Sept 259
    Oct 501 259 16 8
    Nov 305 370 10 12
    Dec 113 370 4 12
    Jan 205 370 7 12
    Feb 235 need bill 8
    Mar 574 need bill 19
    Apr 809 need bill 26

PVGIS
    Fixed system: inclination=35°, orientation=0°
    Month Ed Em
    Jan 6 185
    Feb 11 298
    Mar 19 582
    Apr 24 716
    May 26 820
    Jun 26 784
    Jul 25 768
    Aug 22 682
    Sep 18 533
    Oct 12 374
    fit rate 4.36
    house load when nothing on 0.8kw
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure