Cancer Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Janetta
    Janetta Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Dear all,

Hope this is ok to post here as your post are so inspiring, and I wish you all well.

Here is a cancer charity dance track by two young teenagers i found on iTunes / Facebook.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/i-dont-know-why-single/id992449624

This second link i found really useful when I had completed my treatment and began to evaluate the entire process- its easy to read and I hope you can all draw strength from it.

http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/Peter%20Harvey%20-%20After%20the%20Treatment%20Finishes%20then%20What.pdf

Hugs for you all
    Xx
  • Janetta
    Janetta Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry the second link didn't work here it is again ( fingers crossed)

http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/Peter%20Harvey%20-%20After%20the%20Treatment%20Finishes%20then%20What.pdf

Article by Dr Peter Harvey,
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Janetta, the link is broken, but I've fixed it and put it on the first post. That looks like a helpful resource.

Hi Alex, welcome to the thread. Sorry to hear about your news. That sounds like a punishing schedule of treatment, but the fact that they're going to try and cure you sounds like good news. Do you have anyone at home to support you?
  • summerspring
    Options
    gingervamp i've been putting off my smear for 4 years, but as soon as im registered at new GP it shall be the first thing i do.

If you are sexually active and not using condoms it's a very good idea. Better prevention than cure, as they say.
    The report button is for abusive posts, not because you don't like someone, or their opinions
  • bright_side
    Options
    gingervamp i've been putting off my smear for 4 years, but as soon as im registered at new GP it shall be the first thing i do.

Us women can be quite negligent when it comes to our smear tests, thinking 'I'll do it next week, month etc, especially as it's not the most pleasant of experiences! I did it myself for several years :eek:

I don't know what made me finally go and have it done when I did, but I've been thankful ever since that I went at that time. My pre cancerous cells were removed 'just in time' and since then, as soon as the letter pops through my door I make an appointment. I feel physically sick during the lead up and most times I almost pass out afterwards (childhood sexual abuse issues), however it's quickly forgotten and such a relief when I've had the 'all clear' letters during the last 18 years!
    Some people see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty - the enlightened are simply grateful to have a glass :)
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gah, just having a moan!

My kidney stent irritates my bladder, causing cystitis type symptoms. Some days are worse than others, and today is one of those. Paracetamol will help the pain in my bladder, but it doesn't stop the sting. Urologist said nothing can be done.

Sigh.
  • bright_side
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Gah, just having a moan!

My kidney stent irritates my bladder, causing cystitis type symptoms. Some days are worse than others, and today is one of those. Paracetamol will help the pain in my bladder, but it doesn't stop the sting. Urologist said nothing can be done.

Sigh.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you :heart::heart:
    Some people see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty - the enlightened are simply grateful to have a glass :)
  • sillyvixen
    Options
    i read my local paper online today that thieves had stolen the thick lead off the roof of our local unit were diagnostic scanning and screening for cancer takes place! while the area has been made watertight the offices in the adjoining building (housing medical staff, secretaries and cancer charity fundraisers) have had to be relocated, due to the risk of radiation. while scheduled appointments are still proceeding - i worry about the disruption that may be caused to new emergency referrals due to relocating and the disruption to appointments as the work is done.

i just hope they get caught and are made to realize what they have done - that lead was there for a reason!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope it is better today GV. Is it something that comes and go?
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    *Hugs* to all who need/want them :)

I never really know how much to post.... I'm a very 'private' person in real life. But as this is a thread for cancer support and as anyone who has had cancer will know what I mean, I'm going to post.

Had another appointment on Monday following my masectomy and was told its not 'good', whatever that means! When I was first diagnosed, I had almost a year of treatment including 15 sessions of radiotherapy and 5 boosters on the affected breast. Still, less than a year later, I had TN again in that breast. As the doc said, if it had been 6 years later, the outlook would be brighter :( The fact that it was less than a year says the cancer is 'aggressive'.

So, instead of being finished with treatment until check ups in a year, I'm going to have to have to come back from Scotland in November and again in January. Either come back or move all my care to Scotland which I don't really want to do.

I know they're just covering all bases but I want to forget about it for a while. Having a recurrence is harder for me than the first diagnosis. It means that despite everything that was thrown at it, it returned a year later with a vengeance. And I don't want to be told all the time to just be positive, or 'you're strong you can beat it' whatever that means, or to 'fight harder'. Do people really think that all those that die of cancer just didn't fight hard enough?????

Just letting it all out......

VB x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family