Understanding Flight Prices (Las Vegas)

Options
Hi all,

Firstly I've had a look at the help guide regarding ticket-splitting, but that hasn't really answered my question.

I've been looking at flights for Vegas next year and been trying to understand the pricing surrounding the flights. I did a search through Skyscanner which returned a flight for £494 return from Manchester - but it wasn't direct, however the total journey time was only 13.5hrs. So I looked into the itinerary and the connection was at Heathrow with a wait of around 90min which isn't bad at all. So I then amended the search to fly direct from Heathrow to Vegas (on the assumption I could possibly get it cheaper and maybe get the train down and have a few days in London) but the exact same flight and plane came back as £1038 return?? I'm more curious as to how the ticketing works in this situation, because you're getting an extra flight with BA, but then getting the exact same transatlantic flight but it's costing more than double. Is it likely the price is incorrect in either case, or is there some kind of pricing strategy I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    Options
    The price is correct and normal.

Many flights are cheaper when you route through Heathrow.

If you buy a Manchester to Vegas ticket, you must start at Manchester, if you miss the Manchester to Heathrow leg and try and start at Heathrow, your ticket will be cancelled - to stop people taking advantage of the cheaper fares.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's all about markets. MAN-LAS is a different market to LHR-LAS and hence different fares.

Air fares have little to do with 'actual costs'.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 4:26PM
    Options
    hi

unsure if it ll help but there is a las vegas thread on the site , There is alot of info on the front page of it, including a section about flights.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5571164

I think alot of flights to vegas are from london, Have you tried virgin atlantic? im sure they do manchester-vegas direct. unsure about the price though,

hope this helps
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    It is what it is. I regularly fly from Dublin or even Oslo to save £0000's on business class flights
    travelover
  • matrix2021
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

I see what you mean about the different markets and it does make sense. As long as it wasn't a fault and I can snag that decent price. Thanks again!
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    People in Manchester will have a bunch of other one-stop options (through Amsterdam, Frankfurt, JFK, etc). If BA wants to compete with those they need to price their flights accordingly. People in London will have limited non-stop options (and only one option from LHR) so BA can charge extra for the convience of flying direct.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    That 90 minute changeover at LHR will include a terminal change too.

Don't hang around admiring the pretty shops in T5.
  • marsman802
    Options
    And people moan about BA being 'London Airways' - you get good deals with not being near London! :)
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    marsman802 wrote: »
    And people moan about BA being 'London Airways' - you get good deals with not being near London! :)

A typical connection from the sticks is still going to add four hours onto journey times though.

Mind you, I did a Dublin>LHR>Vegas run last month and got upgraded from business to first. Maybe the early check in for the connecting flight increases upgrade opportunity too.

Shame the service in first was mediocre.
  • Heliflyguy
    Options
    You need to check the classes that you quoted with in each case.

Often lower fare classes will be available MAN-LHR-LAS than MAN
    -LHR / LHR-LAS

Below is an example in 3 days time of booking a connection or booking each flight individually see Q class.

1 MAN LHR 1400 1505 BA1395 J9 C9 D9 R9 I8 Y9 B4 H4 K2 M2 320 C*E
    «B» L2 V2 N2 Q1 OC S2 G1
    2 LAS 1640 1920 BA 275 F7 A6 J9 C9 D9 R9 I8 W3 E2 T1 744 C*E
    Y8 B4 H3 K3 M3 L3 V3 S3 N2 Q1
    OC G0

4 MAN LHR 1400 1505 BA1395 J9 C1 DC R9 IC Y9 B4 H4 K1 M0 320 C*E
    «B» LC VC NC QC OC SC G1

2 LHR LAS 1640 1920 BA 275 F7 A6 J9 C4 D1 RC IC W3 E2 TC 744 C*E
    «B» Y8 B4 H3 K3 M3 L3 V3 S3 N1 QC
    OC G0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors