CIFAS marker on my name for first party fraud

Options

Comments

• Jonathan675
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    You haven't said what your friend...sorry "friend"..... says about this. Is he claiming it's all a huge mix-up or has he gone to ground?
    I aaked my friend about the money he transferred me and he's claiming that he took a small loan from a company to pay it to me.
  • Jonathan675
    Options
    The money didn't come from your friend
    You whipped it out in cash straight away which looks dodgy
    You probably knew your friend was at it
    It's funny that you think I was part of this fraud that's taken place, £300 lol?
    I would not risk ruining my name for £300.

I cashed it out the next day because I owed a bit of that money to my parents.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 July 2017 at 10:27AM
    Options
    I aaked my friend about the money he transferred me and he's claiming that he took a small loan from a company to pay it to me.

This sounds strange, I don't think I would think of taking a loan to pay a friend! If I were you I would get him to put this in writing, with copies of the loan documentation, and a copy of his bank statement showing the loan being paid into his account, and the transfer to your account. If it's a genuine loan company, this should be fine. BUT (and I don't know, just guessing) could your bank argue that it looks like he took out a loan on your behalf?

If you can get the paperwork, you can show the source of the funds, and your friend's statement that it was to pay you money you had loaned to him as a friend (and that's important unless you're also a loan shark! :rotfl:)

Hopefully that would at least show that you were unaware of the source as anything other than your friend's bank account, and you were just being a friend.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The money didn't come from your friend
    You whipped it out in cash straight away which looks dodgy
    You probably knew your friend was at it

The OP is saying (as far as I understand it) that he thought his friend had just paid £300 which he owed him, into his account. The rest came to light after Barclays closed his account.

I've given money to friends before, and I know at least one just withdrew it. He wasn't "at it", he had some things to buy, and owed a friend money. That friend really needed it, I didn't and I had the money, so was happy to help my friend. That's not necessarily dodgy in and of itself.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Didn't you think this sounded a little fishy? and would you really have wanted your friend to take a loan out to cover the £300?
  • Ahmsbelkz
    Options
    He is telling the truth. Im going through the same thing very similar story and I am stuck in life.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's funny that you think I was part of this fraud that's taken place, £300 lol?
    I would not risk ruining my name for £300.

I cashed it out the next day because I owed a bit of that money to my parents.
    You are almost certainly a money mule and receiving the proceeds of crime potentially makes you a criminal too. Having a fraudulent payment come in to an account and then withdrawing it immediately is a classic money mule action.

If you "friend" genuinely took out a loan, it would be easy for him to provide the agreement, which you could show your bank. The fact that your bank have flagged the £300 as fraudulent suggests your "friend" is lying to you.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are almost certainly a money mule and receiving the proceeds of crime potentially makes you a criminal too. Having a fraudulent payment come in to an account and then withdrawing it immediately is a classic money mule action.

If you "friend" genuinely took out a loan, it would be easy for him to provide the agreement, which you could show your bank. The fact that your bank have flagged the £300 as fraudulent suggests your "friend" is lying to you.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.
  • lord_tyrannus
    Options
    A CIFAS warning on your account is essentially the Financial Kiss of death you'll find anything you apply for that does even a soft credit search will automatically be declined.

Only Barclays can get it removed and you can't deal directly with CIFAS. There also dosent appear to be any sort of appeal or ombudsman oversight for CIFAS or atleast there wasn't when i dealt with them ten years ago

IT should drop off after a year
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No CIFAS markers last 6 years - like everything else in the credit report world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure