Tax Credits - first tier tribunal stage

Hi all

Its a very long story but ill try and condense it down in some kind of order. Anything I have missed please ask.

End of December 2015 my partner moves into my property. I contact tax office with details so they can amend the claim.

Feb 2016 HRMC write to me telling me I owe £500.

May 2016 I write explaining the figures were worked out using their tax credit calculator and I believe them to be correct.

June 2016 I write again as I have not heard anything

HMRC June 2016 write to me telling me to appeal

Late 2016 Receive letter from debt collection agency telling me I owe them £500. I contact them explain the situation they place on hold awaiting HMRC response.

HMRC dont respond and credit agency confirm case closed.

Jan 2017 tribunal HMRC didnt send in any evidence (they were told to file and serve by Jan 2017) as far as I am aware they didnt do this.

April 2017 The same credit agency as previous claim the £500 is owed again. Again I contact and explain again they ask HMRC for evidence again they dont get it and again they write to me confirming as far as they are concerned the case is closed.

July 2017 Receiev Hm Courts and Tribunal Service Appeal Letter Directions from the Judge

1. This case should be listed for an oral hearing which is limited to the question of whether the tribunal has jurisdiction over this appeal, at the first available date at a venue nearest to applicants address. Either JUDGE A or JUDGE B must be the presiding judge. Time estimate 50 minutes.

2. The appellant must attend the hearing

3. a presenting officer must attend the hearing with the file.

Thats the summary! Not sure what to do next cant believe the amount of time effort letters and complete non response from the HMRC to all of this. The amount they are claimed owed is £500. Their has still been no explanation as to where this amount has been calculated from and every calculation I have done shows the figures I have given have been correct at every stage.

Thanks for help in advance

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Hi all

Its a very long story but ill try and condense it down in some kind of order. Anything I have missed please ask.

End of December 2015 my partner moves into my property. I contact tax office with details so they can amend the claim.
    They wouldn't "amend" the claim. They'd close your single claim and you'd need to reapply jointly with your partner.
    Feb 2016 HRMC write to me telling me I owe £500.
    Is that from your now closed single claim?
    May 2016 I write explaining the figures were worked out using their tax credit calculator and I believe them to be correct.
    Did you work them out manually? Calculators can't cope with all scenarios.
    June 2016 I write again as I have not heard anything

HMRC June 2016 write to me telling me to appeal

Late 2016 Receive letter from debt collection agency telling me I owe them £500. I contact them explain the situation they place on hold awaiting HMRC response.

HMRC dont respond and credit agency confirm case closed.

Jan 2017 tribunal HMRC didnt send in any evidence (they were told to file and serve by Jan 2017) as far as I am aware they didnt do this.

April 2017 The same credit agency as previous claim the £500 is owed again. Again I contact and explain again they ask HMRC for evidence again they dont get it and again they write to me confirming as far as they are concerned the case is closed.

July 2017 Receiev Hm Courts and Tribunal Service Appeal Letter Directions from the Judge

1. This case should be listed for an oral hearing which is limited to the question of whether the tribunal has jurisdiction over this appeal, at the first available date at a venue nearest to applicants address. Either JUDGE A or JUDGE B must be the presiding judge. Time estimate 50 minutes.

2. The appellant must attend the hearing

3. a presenting officer must attend the hearing with the file.

Thats the summary! Not sure what to do next cant believe the amount of time effort letters and complete non response from the HMRC to all of this. The amount they are claimed owed is £500. Their has still been no explanation as to where this amount has been calculated from and every calculation I have done shows the figures I have given have been correct at every stage.

Thanks for help in advance
    Did you not get a finalised claim from your 2015/16 single claim? That should have included a calculation. If you got it did you check it and spot any errors?
  • thanks for reply Zag

I am at work now so will reply later when I have all the paperwork next to me again

Thanks
  • Hi

Yes they did close single claim and I had to reapply jointly including my partners details .

They claim that the overpayment is because they overpaid me after I had provided them with the details of my partner which is not my fault - they appear to be deducting something from my current award but I have had no notification of this either. No idea where to go with this

thanks for your help
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Hi

Yes they did close single claim and I had to reapply jointly including my partners details .

They claim that the overpayment is because they overpaid me after I had provided them with the details of my partner which is not my fault - they appear to be deducting something from my current award but I have had no notification of this either. No idea where to go with this

thanks for your help
    So did you get the finalised award for the single claim? Was that correct? You say you got something in Feb, you should also have got a finalised award for the closed single claim after the end of the tax year as it'll use your income over the whole tax year (proportioned) even though your claim ended part way through the year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure