Housing benefit living with son ?

Hi everyone,

I currently work full time as does my partner and we rent our own place privately.

My mum is disabled so get benefits and currently gets housing benefit for a studio flat in a sheltered accomadation unit,

My mother is not really coping that well on her own and it's very depressive to think of her there all the time not coping,

I'm trying to find out if she is still able to claim housing benefit if she came to live with us. The place we have now is not big enough and we would have to look for a bigger more suitable property but I need to know if the housing would pay her contribution towards rent if we find somewhere. I imagine it would work out no more than what they are already paying for her to live where she is.

hope someone has some info.

Thanks

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,574
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    This would probably be seen as a contrived tenancy, in which case the answer is no.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    KxMx wrote: »
    This would probably be seen as a contrived tenancy, in which case the answer is no.

I don't think the OP is talking about charging her mum rent for a room in her house. It sounds like they want to move to a bigger house and wants to know if having her mum as part of the household would increase the number of rooms they need, and therefore increase the applicable LHA.

I don't know the answer though, I think it would depend on a lot of factors including income and what, if any, benefits are being claimed.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The op is asking if housing benrfit would still be paid if mother came to stay. Hb is for rental of oroperty . Mother woud be a lodger in your property so no. It would not be paid.
    Surely mother could afford board and lodging out of the benefits she receives
    No offence is intended
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    The op is asking if housing benrfit would still be paid if mother came to stay. Hb is for rental of oroperty . Mother woud be a lodger in your property so no. It would not be paid.
    Surely mother could afford board and lodging out of the benefits she receives
    No offence is intended

Actually lodgers can still claim HB.

The problem is that she would not be a lodger in the OP's house but a non dependent.

If the OP is receiving HB then his HB would increase as there would be another adult requiring a bedroom living in the house. I suspect the OP doesn't claim HB.

Another problem is that the OP's mother may be receiving the severe disability premium with her benefits (if she receives AA) and she would lose this if she moved in with her son.

OP hasn't told us the logistics of the situation. Perhaps it is possible for the OP to move closer to her mother or vice versa.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,944
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    the answer is to have her as the co tenant, so that she has a liability to pay rent.

she needs to be named on the tenancy agreement
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Forumite
    nannytone wrote: »
    the answer is to have her as the co tenant, so that she has a liability to pay rent.

she needs to be named on the tenancy agreement

Do you mean joint tenant?

This is a possibility but am not sure that any LL/LA would agree to this as it is doubtful that she would meet the criteria tests regarding income. As a joint tenant she would have joint and several responsibility for the whole rent.
  • Hi guys thanks for your replys. I do not own my own home, me and my partner privately rent a house and both work full time.

This house would not be suitable for my mum as no bedrooms are on the ground floor,

I have looked at other properties that would be suitable and they work out roughly a third more expensive than what we have already.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if I get a property that's suitable whether the hb would pay my mums third of the rent as I unfourtantley am not in a position to be able to go out and spend that extra money myself each month
  • I would need to move to a bigger property to be able to accomadate my mother and she would have to have ground floor rooms. I pay privately for my current house and can't afford to pay out a few hundred more each month to have my mum with us, this is why I'm wondering if she is a joint tennant if she would get her share as hb for the property so we can pay two thirds privately and 1 third hb for my mum
  • I already have a landlord and property in mind and he would be happy on this basis. The property has a bedroom and bathroom on the ground floor so my mum wouldn't need to try to use stairs. It's difficult to find properties like this in this area but her share would not be any more than the hb she already gets for a studio flat. I'm just not sure if hb would pay her share or expect me to because I'm her son, I would love to but unfortunately I'm already at my max I can really go to with my current rent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure