Pension credit - entitled to council tax refund?

Hi,

my wife has recently been awarded Pension Credit , having applied some 3 months ago (it took an official complaint to actually get the application sorted, but that's another story!)

My question is, now she has been awarded this with it backdated to June, are we able to apply for a partial refund of this years council tax?

Many thanks for your time
-

Congratulations to all who have got their PPI back!

:T

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CAB Board will close for end-of-pilot review on 19th Dec.[/FONT]

So I've moved your post to the Benefits & Tax Credits forum.

You can still look for advice on www.adviceguide.org.uk and/or contact your local CAB.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • tifosi wrote: »
    Hi,

my wife has recently been awarded Pension Credit , having applied some 3 months ago (it took an official complaint to actually get the application sorted, but that's another story!)

My question is, now she has been awarded this with it backdated to June, are we able to apply for a partial refund of this years council tax?

The best thing to do is to ring the local council to whom you pay your council tax and ask. I would think that there will be a refund, but whether they can or may be willing to backdate it so far I have no idea.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 898
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You will have to apply for Council Tax benefit, if you contact your council they will send you out the forms, if its Guaranteed credit that you have been awarded, CTB should be awarded from the date the pension credit was awarded.

Happy Christmas

elmer x
  • tifosi wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes, as long as the entitlement was in place you should be refunded.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure