Partner's ESA ended

Hi,

I've had a look at existing threads and can't find anything that accurately reflects our situation. However, my partner - who suffers from mental health problems - and I are at our wits' end and hope to be able to get some advice here.

She has been in receipt of ESA and housing benefit. After a period of unemployment, I began working again in September 2012 shortly before we moved in together. Originally I was contracted to 14.75 hours oer week but, after telling my employer that I was going to need to limit the hours I was available to work in order to find a second job, they increased my hours to 25 per week. We understood that our housing benefit claim would be reduced, but when we informed the DWP of the change in circumstances her ESA claim was ended - the maximum a claimant's partner can work without this happening is 24 hours per week. The DWP told us we would be able to claim working tax credits instead, but after looking into this I've discovered I cannot unless I work 30+ hours per week.

After income tax, rent and council tax, this leaves us around £25 per week to live on. Is there anything we can claim to increase our income to something we can actually survive on?

Comments

• CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Hi

It seems that you need a full benefit check to see whether there are any other benefits that you may be entitled to.

We suggest that you contact turn2us either vis this link http://www.turn2us.org.uk/ and doing a benefit search yourself or on their free confidential number on 0808 802 2000.

Hope you find this helpful

Citizens Advice Bureau
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure