Ssp

I have been working for an agency for 7 months and the work involves heavy lifting. I have a problem with my hip so cannot lift safely and as a result i have injured my back. The doctor gave me a sick not due to finding osteoarthritis in my hip. The job center say that i cannot claim SSP because i work for an agency and i have to fill in forms for benefits.

What do I do?

Comments

• Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    Put in a claim for ESA as soon as possible.
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    morro123 wrote: »
    I have been working for an agency for 7 months and the work involves heavy lifting. I have a problem with my hip so cannot lift safely and as a result i have injured my back. The doctor gave me a sick not due to finding osteoarthritis in my hip. The job center say that i cannot claim SSP because i work for an agency and i have to fill in forms for benefits.

What do I do?

Dear Morro123

If you are not entitled to SSP, you may wish to claim Employment and Support Allowance. Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is for people who:
    • can't work because of sickness or disability, and
    • aren't getting Statutory Sick Pay.
    There are two types of ESA:
    • contributory ESA, which you can get if you have paid enough national insurance contributions
    • income-related ESA which is paid if your income and capital are low enough.
    You may be able to get both contributory ESA and income-related ESA, depending on your circumstances. For both types of ESA, you will usually have to have various tests to confirm that you have limited capability for work.

In some circumstances, you can only get contributory ESA for up to 365 days.

If you would like to apply, you can do so by contacting Job Centre on 0800 023 4888. If you require assistance with completing forms such as ESA50, your local Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to help you.
    For further information on ESA please look at the following link:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_sick_or_disabled_people_and_carers_ew/employment_and_support_allowance.htm#how_to_claim_employment_and_support_allowance

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure