PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Comments

• Ocelot
    Ocelot Posts: 512
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can't see a swastika.

Look at the pattern in the tiles on the left of the picture.

I suspect it's unintentional.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,507
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Whilst it certainly had a long history before being hijacked by the nazis, I think it will be a very long time indeed before people will be able to see beyond the 20th century connotations. It could be that the photo exaggerates the colour contrast between the tiles and gives a false impression, but if it really is meant to be a swastika, it tells us a great deal about the vendor.
  • Chrisv
    Chrisv Posts: 5,119
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Ocelot wrote: »
    Look at the pattern in the tiles on the left of the picture.

I suspect it's unintentional.

So do I :)

I wouldn't see it if I wasn't trying to.

ssssssssss.jpg
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Chrisv wrote: »

ssssssssss.jpg

LOLOL, I can assure you I didn't start looking at that listing with the intention of finding a swastika.
  • LandyAndy
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    How 'bad' is a religious symbol that goes right back to the dawn of civilization? It was in common use long before the C20th. It's still in use in Hindu and Buddhist cultures

We don't know why it's there, or even if it was intentional, so maybe it's unfair to label the owners of this house without more evidence than we have here.

Indeed. And I wasn't intending to 'label' the owners.
  • Chrisv
    Chrisv Posts: 5,119
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    LOLOL, I can assure you I didn't start looking at that listing with the intention of finding a swastika.

I don't for a minute think that you were Andy. I just meant that until it was pointed out where it actually was, I couldn't see it :)
  • LandyAndy
    Forumite
    I don't for a minute think that you were Andy. I just meant that until it was pointed out where it actually was, I couldn't see it :)

It didn't catch my eye immediately. Only when I started looking for the hidden animals.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Indeed. And I wasn't intending to 'label' the owners.
    You didn't, but nkkingston said "Oh god, that's bad. And I highly doubt it's accidental."

It was that comment I was replying to.

It's one thing to make fun of people's houses on here, but I felt uncomfortable with the suggestion that a vendor might have unpleasant far-right leanings based on such flimsy evidence.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2018 at 10:32PM

ssssssssss.jpg

...and I still can't see it. It's just an aesthetic design thing - and not a "got a meaning design thing".

One would have something to worry about with some (intentional) symbols. Memories of looking round one house way back and wondering why I could manage to afford a detached in home area. I found a couple of obvious-to-all points and then I started spotting the religious symbols from various different religions. When I got to the stage I knew exactly what the next one would be that I'd spot (to the point I commented to the EA "...and the next one I see will be......") I started wondering. Then I walked into a more hidden area of the house - and couldn't see anything - but I took off and ran from that house pdq. It felt "odd" (and not in nice way). If I had to take a guess - I'd guess at summat a bit evil...and I knew what I thought it was (and knew there was some of it going on in my city....as per a lot of places I expect....). Nothing specific to see in that area - just the cold feeling going down my spine...

I wasn't interested....
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2018 at 9:29AM
    nkkingston wrote: »
    Oh god, that's bad. And I highly doubt it's accidental (and would be a pain to remove).

Does remind me of a friend who went to view a house where the EA photo showed a "weird flappy ceiling" in one room, that my friend and her husband has assumed was some bad DIY artex. Turned out it had been sheets of paper the EA had blutacked up while taking photos the owners had subsequently removed, because they wanted their swastika decorated ceiling on show for all viewings. Funnily enough they didn't put an offer in.
    What's so wrong with the Hindu sign of peace?
    The+way+it+is+now+is+a+buddhist+symbol+the+_aa9eebcac88526609ee6251debd067e7.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure