SMI Loan, Charges on Lang Registry and rights?

2»

Comments

• tinysandra wrote: »
    this is what it says on gov site does this mean not everyone will be changed to a loan
    What type of SMI you can get
    Whether you can get SMI paid as a benefit or as a loan depends on when you get, or are treated as getting, your qualifying benefit.
    If you get Pension Credit
    Your SMI will be paid as a benefit if you get Pension Credit before 6 April 2018.
    It will be paid as a loan if you get Pension Credit on or after 6 April 2018.
    If you get another qualifying benefit
    Your SMI will be paid as a benefit if you get another qualifying benefit before 7 July 2017. You must have been getting the benefit for 39 consecutive weeks.
    It will be paid as a loan if you get the qualifying benefit on or after 7 July 2017.

It will be changed to a loan in April.

No idea why they've published that, it's created a lot of confusion.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Lebene wrote: »
    Thank you both for this. My mum was convinced as soon as she sells they'll stop everything and leave her destitute. She said MacMillan had advised her that all benefits would stop (who knows how many years ago) as soon as she sold but considering her memory, I didn't find that recount trustworthy.

It's quite possible she was told that. If someone only has a basic knowledge of benefits then they can give wrong information. One of my bug bears is people in authority giving benefits advice when they haven't the in depth knowledge to do so. If people are new to benefits then they'll believe a support worker who sounds like they know what they're talking about.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Macmillan told me I would never get PIP (DLA as was then) for my cancer or any conditions I developed related to it. Five years later and I am in receipt of standard daily living and enhanced mobility for guess what- conditions directly related to my cancer and its diagnosis :D
    Some of them are useless.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure