Late December holidays

Hello,

I am looking for a holiday for between 7-10 days in late December (anytime between 21 Dec - 7th Jan). These dates were fixed until this week so couldn't book this before. I have looked at available (packaged) options and prices are clearly much higher than usual during these dates. Does anyone have experience of booking last minute holidays during this time? Is there a point in waiting for another few weeks to see if prices drop? We are open about where we go as long as we have assured sunshine and 20+ degrees so were looking at Canary Islands or Florida. (2 adults + 10 yrs old)

Comments

• Can you book it all yourself instead of package? May get a better deal?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What do you mean by 'assured sunshine'?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • richardw wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'assured sunshine'?
    Places like Malta etc can be rainy during Dec, just somewhere where sun is guaranteed
  • Can you book it all yourself instead of package? May get a better deal?
    Yes, looked at Florida earlier, rates are much better as DIY but Hotel only - I am bit worried it might end up costing quite a bit more in the end.

Never been to Florida before so wanted to keep it simple to start with too. I might end up booking it DIY but I thought I'll check what people think
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Don't think that Canaries can be guaranteed for hot sunny weather then- you can have the Calima blowing with the dust. Experienced that in Canaries a couple of years ago in January.
    It will be warmer than UK.....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • nirajn123 wrote: »
    Yes, looked at Florida earlier, rates are much better as DIY but Hotel only - I am bit worried it might end up costing quite a bit more in the end.

Never been to Florida before so wanted to keep it simple to start with too. I might end up booking it DIY but I thought I'll check what people think

Is it breakfast you're concerned about? Or other meals? Most USA hotels are room only. If you have a car you can buy some cheap and easy breakfast goods to eat in your room if you get a room with kitchenette area (lots have this). Or eat breakfast out you can get some cheap deals. I've never done anything other than room only in USA.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have been to most southerly parts of the USA San Diego and Miami at the end of December and had some cloudy days in both places.
    If you want 'guaranteed sunshine' I don't think you'll get it in the USA.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We have been to Florid a many times for new year. The weather can be very unpredictable tho, last year it was very hot to start with then temp dropped by over 10 degrees. Still a great place for new year. The carribean is a good bet for weather
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,299
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 November 2017 at 12:48PM
    We went to Florida for Christmas/New Year a few years ago - it was scorching when we arrived but in the second week it was colder than it was in the UK!
    I've got a photo of my (adult) daughter and I on our last day there, she's wearing a warm hoodie with a fluffy lining we'd just bought and a faux fur hat, I'm wearing 2x vest tops, 2 x t-shirts (one short sleeved, one long) a microfleece hoodie and another sweatshirt type hoodie over the top (not a flattering look!)

ETA Have just checked. It was 29 degrees (C) the day we arrived. The day before we came home, 9 degrees! :eek:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    An idea of budget would help.

Week in Madeira leaving 26th December for £700 looks good value when you consider it includes NYE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure