MSE Poll: Should pension tax relief be halved to 20% for higher earners?

2»

Comments

• What is disappointing is the way people's opinions are so governed by self-interest.

Eg 24% of 40% tax payers agree, but 64% of 20% tax payers agree.

Clearly the idea has some merit and some drawbacks. There are arguments on both sides. It's a pity that people can't step out of their own situation when judging an issue such as this.

I can see more of this to come. You know, poor people thinking the rich should pay more. The rich thinking they pay too much already....
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Absolutely Not. Pensions are taxed on receipt, not on contribution.

Other restrictions are in place for higher earners.
    a) You can contribute as much as you earn in a year, up to £40,000 annually (including contributions from employers)
    b) Workers earning over £150,000 have their annual pension allowance gradually reduced to £10,000 once they earn £210,000 or more.
    c) A lifetime allowance of £1,000,000 puts a top limit on the value of your pension pot without having to pay a tax charge.

Note that if you want a guaranteed income that rises in line with the cost of living and provides a payout to a spouse on death, a £1m pension pot could pay as little as £21,000/year.

The biggest inequality in all this is the ridiculously over generous way this lifetime allowance is applied to defined benefit (final salary) pensions, where you could receive a pension over £50,000/year before it starts to have any effect.
  • You missed the option of somewhere in between, why? Most proposals I have seen talk about a flat rate of 30 to 35 percent.
  • Have to agree with chattychappy.

It's a sad state of affairs when people are just voting with self interest.

I bet most of those basic rate payers who voted to stay the same only did so because they expect to be paying higher rate in the future. And I bet many non taxpayers are housewives and husband's who's other half a are well into higher rate territory.

Anyway the fact is that prior governments have given this relief to encourage people to save for their old age because of the state pension black hole.

To cut the relief now would discourage pension saving and give the current treasury a big financial boost. Thus it would be the government of today stealing from the government of the future. Sadly this sounds like the sort of stunt UK governments have been up to all too often over the last few decades.

:cry:
  • A couple of points:

1. the choice of language used in the media.

The government does not "give" or "top up" money in your pension pot. It merely doesn't charge you income tax (or NI, if using Salary Sacrifice). There's no flow from Exchequer into your pot. It's not a gift. It's a deferral, where you will pay tax once you actually access the money.

[Apart from non-earners getting £700 from the Exchequer on £2,900 they deposit into a pension. That IS a gift. But it's not what's at stake here].

2. Regressive rates of tax relief on pensions.
    The fact we have regressive rates of relief (ie greater rates of relief for higher paid) is a direct consequence of the tax regime that is progressive ie charges high earners more in terms of rate of tax.
    Those obtaining higher rates of relief are not somehow "advantaged" - it's they who are suffering the higher marginal rates of income tax and deferring (not avoiding) tax on their pension funds.

3. trust. THis for me is the big issue. Even in the short term, i have little faith in the stability of the pensions regulatory / tax framework in areas including:
    - 25% tax free element
    - lifetime allowance
    - annual allowance
    - NI on pensions
    - changing the rules on when you can access pensions

There are inequalities. The different way DB and DC schemes are treated for lifetime allowance is one. The continued attacking of LTA and AA, whilst ignoring existing large pots is another. The whole concept of the LTA, where good investment strategy is penalised and long term planning nigh on impossible, is another. The ludicrous envy that has resulted in the taper rules for incomes £150,000 - £210,000 is yet another. The whole system is spectacularly over-complicated.

Touting a flat rate relief at 20% is also a fantastic sleight of hand - if you are a BR taxpayer using salary sacrifice, you are already getting 32% relief (42% if HR taxpayer), so why on earth would a flat rate at anything less than 32% be a good thing for anyone?

A flat rate relief scheme would kill pensions dead for HR taxpayers, as they would be taxed partially on receipt and fully at withdrawal ie double taxed. The rational approach would be therefore to stop pension saving (good for exchequer in the short term), but have nothing for retirement (v bad for the state in the long term).

And finally, pensions tax relief DOES NOT COST £70bn (or whatever figure) per annum. It reflects a deferral of tax, not a cost, and is essential to the long term financial wellbeing of our people.
  • What is disappointing is the way people's opinions are so governed by self-interest.

Eg 24% of 40% tax payers agree, but 64% of 20% tax payers agree.

Clearly the idea has some merit and some drawbacks. There are arguments on both sides. It's a pity that people can't step out of their own situation when judging an issue such as this.

I can see more of this to come. You know, poor people thinking the rich should pay more. The rich thinking they pay too much already....

I think the evidence comes down fairly heavily on one side, but why not share your view? By the way I'm middle-aged so my response is more to do with future generations who will already struggle to fund a reasonable pension with their student loans and large mortgages to repay.

Changing the tax regime punitively would prompt less money to flow into pension funds, which invest in company shares, which grow the economy. If that money instead went into residential property for example and increased house prices some of the less well off (e.g. the young) would not be well served.

It looks like the very worse kind of short-term thinking. I'm sure it is being considered by government though.
  • The reason you get the tax relief on paying into a pension is because when you draw your pension this is taxed at source and subject to PAYE and NI then. To tax contributions to pension schemes is to tax it twice.
  • The reason you get the tax relief on paying into a pension is because when you draw your pension this is taxed at source and subject to PAYE and NI then. To tax contributions to pension schemes is to tax it twice.

Not NI. Just tax.
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Having been a 40% taxpayer for many years, after reading a thread on this site I decided to fund a S.I.P.P., draw a lower income and revert to 20% tax.
    I accumulated a fund sufficient to retire early. Instead of the government taking an additional 20% tax and squandering it on foreign aid, my S.I.P.P. is growing exponentially.
    I am currently drawing an income up to (but not into) the 40% tax bracket. Because I retired early, despite fixing the lifetime allowance, my pension will soon exceed that allowance in value.
    In short, my pension contributions mean that I will never be a burden on the state. Once I have drawn the lifetime allowance I will be taxed at 55% on the remainder and the government will receive far more than they ever would had I paid 40%.
    Evidently individuals can look after their own savings far better than the government.
    The foolish fail to recognise that tax relief is not a gift to the wealthy, merely a deferral of when the tax is paid, leaving the adept to grow their money better than government is able. The tax I pay will no doubt be used support those who don't save for themselves.
  • I'm a 20% tax payer.

Personally I'd like to see the money taxed going in rather than coming out so I'd scrap relief entirely and make pension income tax free.

As for the idea of halving relief, if you do that then charge full tax on it coming out why on earth would a higher rate tax payer want a pension? We'll tax your money at 20-25% going in and at 40-45% coming out. Makes no sense.

If you tax a higher rate taxpayer at 20% going in and 20% coming out you aren't saving anything!
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure