Switching from BG collective fix to Avro

Options
I have searched for the answer to this but have had no luck.
I think I read that if you initiate a switch and it is agreed it will proceed before the fix ends that the supplier should not move you to their standard variable. If anyone can find or has knowledge of this i'd appreciate clarification.
My specific case is that I am moving from British Gas to Avro as the Collective fix rate finished at the start of October.
The initiation date was 14 Sept
The first DD was 5th Oct
The switch should take place 14 Oct

If I look at my BG account on-line though, I am already on Standard Variable and my smart meter daily cost has increased by 50% but my usage unsurprisingly has not.

Should I be wrong about this it will probably cost me around £14 more than it should have because I waited too long to switch, not going to break the bank but annoying none the less.

Regards
IDL

Comments

• Bobblehat
    Options
    I am doing the same switch as you, 1st DD 18th Oct, Switch 28 Oct. I don't have a smart meter.

When I phoned BG (about another issue) I also enquired about the switch and SVT. What I was told was that the online account would show that I was on SVT the day after the Collective switch ends. When the final bills get worked out they will include part of the usage at the SVT rates, but a discount will be applied to effectively make the whole of each bill be at the Collective fix rates. I will be watching what happens and scrutinise the final bills meticulously!

From a suggestion on another thread, who implied that the BG online account might not work after some point during(?) the switch, I recently took screen shots of my usage figures with BG for Gas and Elec over the last 4 years in both kWh and ££'s, by quarters, the kWh figures are the more important. I also screen shot my last balances, a screens worth of last payments and a screens worth of statement summaries.

If, when the final bills arrive, I am not happy with any of the figures, I hope I am in a good position to dispute any contentious ones with some sort of corroboration. I don't suspect there will be any dodgy figures, but I'm a belt & braces sort of chap! If everything looks within the margins of error, I won't be wasting my time arguing over a couple of quid ...... life is too short ...... and I'll just be so glad to see the back of BG. Anything larger that looks strange, I'll be asking questions on the phone to BG.

I was asked not to cancel my direct debits because there may be a debit left on the final bills, if not they will refund any credit to the same account.

It would be great if you could double check we are getting the same story by phoning BG about the SVT and the applied discount on the final bill, and report back here if you are willing.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do as Bobblehat suggests, take screenshots or download your PDF bills for as far back as you can (especially if there are any estimated ones) so you've got your own record before BG lock you out of your account. Ideally you also need evidence of your first meter reading so you can backtrack.

You've then got the info and evidence to challenge or query any billing problems in the future.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • blackadder
    blackadder Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2017 at 12:14PM
    Options
    good idea on the screen captures
    have grabbed all the payments, all the usage graphs in kwh and £ for gas + electricity and as an added bonus the smart meter is 1 year old and started at zero. BG installed it so there is no disputing the readings and I will photo the meter too on the final read, loving these braces, they match my belt :D

[curiously just as I posted this reply an email came from Avro asking for my opening readings] :D
  • caveat_emptor
    Options
    If the switch is not made before the collective ends expect to pay the standard tariff afterwards. I've just switched from BG to Avro and my collective ended om 3.10.17 but was not switched until 5.10.17 so I paid 2 days at BG standard tariff. Haven't heard about post fix concession and can't see BG agreeing to this.
    BTW I've posted a question about the BG collective discount for duel fuel but no answers. Anyone know what this was?
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the switch is not made before the collective ends expect to pay the standard tariff afterwards. I've just switched from BG to Avro and my collective ended om 3.10.17 but was not switched until 5.10.17 so I paid 2 days at BG standard tariff. Haven't heard about post fix concession and can't see BG agreeing to this.
    BTW I've posted a question about the BG collective discount for duel fuel but no answers. Anyone know what this was?
    You should get a credit to cover the difference so that you will not pay. It's not whether BG want to do that, it's part of the regulations covering switching suppliers. You can complain should they try not to give you the difference.
  • Bobblehat
    Bobblehat Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Best Buy Bear
    Options
    As I mentioned .... BG were upfront about the way they create the final Bills ..... partially charged up to the collective end date at the Collective rate and partial charge (up on switch date) at the SVT and a refund (discount) to effectively negate the difference between the SVT and the Collective tariff rate.

I, too, was sceptical that this would come to fruition, but there are several threads in this section of the forum that quote regulations that support it. .....

..... this from Matt, a BG rep in post #203 in the "Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End" thread ....

As several of members have advised; your prices will be protected until you leave if we receive notification you've signed up to a new supplier within 20 working days of your deal expiring.

When you receive your final bill it will show the change in price after your Collective tariff deal expires; however we'll add a credit on your account to make sure you're only charged at the Collective rates. Thanks, Matt
  • nic_c
    Options
    How come the DD is taken before the start date?

My switch occurred today and the DD went through today with new supplier. Logging into BG website shows my accounts as closed. I can still access all statements, etc and shows current balance. So maybe check the BG site on Switch day to see if it has been updated?
  • blackadder
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    How come the DD is taken before the start date?

My switch occurred today and the DD went through today with new supplier. Logging into BG website shows my accounts as closed. I can still access all statements, etc and shows current balance. So maybe check the BG site on Switch day to see if it has been updated?

Avro do it that way, they are up front about it.

messed with my cashflow though as BG took another DD on the 2nd Oct meaning I am in credit with them by 4 times the price of the new DD with Avro, hopefully they aren't lax in returning the overpayment.
  • nic_c
    Options
    blackadder wrote: »

messed with my cashflow though as BG took another DD on the 2nd Oct meaning I am in credit with them by 4 times the price of the new DD with Avro, hopefully they aren't lax in returning the overpayment.
    How many DD payments? You can always make an indemnity claim from your bank, they will return the funds immediately and then claw it back from BG. So long as you are sure it is credit
  • The_Big_Bamboo
    Options
    blackadder wrote: »

…ditto!...I’m in exactly the same boat as you. My switch to Avro was officially completed on 10.10.17.

Avro had already taken an initial D/D of £111 on 2.10.17

On 9.10.17 Br.Gas took a final (presumably???) D/D of £130 from my account;…this despite me already having a credit with Br.Gas of £498 !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure