Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Comments

• Ok so I just checked my BG account and my electricity has been deducted but no bill generated as yet. Currently questioning with BG why I’ve been charged £95 for electric in less than a month when for over six month period It was just £265! Without a bill it’s hard to see if I’ve been over charged.
  • Just received the following thru online chat: re info now rendered unavailable on website.

"You won't be able to see this info while we wait on the final readings, as soon as we've got them and the account is closed then you'll have full access to your online account for 6 months after it closes."

Also told could be up to 8 weeks (though unlikely to be that long) before receiving final bill depending on new supplier giving them final readings.
  • On dual fuel and single dd. No final bill yet.
  • My switch from BG to Ovo commenced on 26th September. As I was going away for a week on 23rd I supplied both gas and electricity readings on 22nd. Afterall I had switched the gas boiler off and there was no one in the house to use much electricity. I received the gas bill online on 29th September. No mention of electricity. I spoke to BG on 2nd october who said they had not received the electricity reading. Now I have a credit of over £400 with BG which they won't return because the electricity bill is not finalised.
    I spoke to Rosie at Ovo on 2nd October. She said that energy readings go via a 3rd company who have to confirm they are correct before passing them on to the old supplier and this could take 4-6 weeks. She said I would not be charged for any energy by BG because when they receive the electricity reading it will be back dated to 26th Sept and Ovo would charge me from the transfer date. I have checked the bank statement and BG have not taken any further direct debit payments. As far as Ovo is concerned my account is up and running.

I guess I am lucky in that the gas transfer went through before the previous BG MSE tariff finished.

Has anyone else been told about this mysterious third party who checks meter readings or is it a load of *******? I am not on a smart meter so short of coming round and reading the meter how are the mysterious third party going to confirm it is correct? I am sure that BG will not be in any hurry to close my account and return my credit built up over the Summer months to avoid high Winter fuel bills.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My switch from BG to Ovo commenced on 26th September. As I was going away for a week on 23rd I supplied both gas and electricity readings on 22nd. Afterall I had switched the gas boiler off and there was no one in the house to use much electricity. I received the gas bill online on 29th September. No mention of electricity. I spoke to BG on 2nd october who said they had not received the electricity reading. Now I have a credit of over £400 with BG which they won't return because the electricity bill is not finalised.
    I spoke to Rosie at Ovo on 2nd October. She said that energy readings go via a 3rd company who have to confirm they are correct before passing them on to the old supplier and this could take 4-6 weeks. She said I would not be charged for any energy by BG because when they receive the electricity reading it will be back dated to 26th Sept and Ovo would charge me from the transfer date. I have checked the bank statement and BG have not taken any further direct debit payments. As far as Ovo is concerned my account is up and running.

I guess I am lucky in that the gas transfer went through before the previous BG MSE tariff finished.

Has anyone else been told about this mysterious third party who checks meter readings or is it a load of *******? I am not on a smart meter so short of coming round and reading the meter how are the mysterious third party going to confirm it is correct? I am sure that BG will not be in any hurry to close my account and return my credit built up over the Summer months to avoid high Winter fuel bills.

All meter readings on a transfer of supply go to an independent industry third-party for verification based on the data held for your property. Why? People have been known to lie if they can see a financial advantage in doing so; people misread their meters and some people do not bother. This practice of validation has been in place for years. It usually takes no more than 10 days.

Losing suppliers have up to 6 weeks to raise a Final Bill from the date of the transfer of supply. This is covered in Licence Conditions and in EU Law.
  • Hengus wrote: »
    All meter readings on a transfer of supply go to an independent industry third-party for verification based on the data held for your property. Why? People have been known to lie if they can see a financial advantage in doing so; people misread their meters and some people do not bother. This practice of validation has been in place for years. It usually takes no more than 10 days.

Losing suppliers have up to 6 weeks to raise a Final Bill from the date of the transfer of supply. This is covered in Licence Conditions and in EU Law.

Many thanks for that information. Most useful & something I was not aware of. I suspect BG will take full advantage of the 6 weeks. How would I know when the reading is passed on and if BG is dragging its feet?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Many thanks for that information. Most useful & something I was not aware of. I suspect BG will take full advantage of the 6 weeks. How would I know when the reading is passed on and if BG is dragging its feet?

That’s not what people have said on this forum in recent days. Once you reach the 6 week point, then the losing supplier should be asking the gaining supplier for validated readings. My experience of being with Ovo on two occasions in the past is that they always overstate the time things take. Better to deliver early than late.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Cardew wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

My case is exactly the same as yours i.e. switched 26 Sep and had a gas bill showing a large credit on 28th Sept, but also nothing yet about electricity. The bill total for electricity will be deducted from my gas credit.

Spoke to BG and they state they have 3 weeks to action electricity; several other posters have the same experience as thee and me.
    Re the above - accurate electricity bill now received and accurate refund agreed - that sum has not yet arrived at my bank.
  • Hengus I am pleased & relieved that you have had 2 positive experiences with Ovo. I have been impressed with their email communication and the website and when I spoke to them they were most helpful. This is my first venture away from the big 6.

Cardew switched supply the same day and has now had the electricity account settled so I hope to hear something soon.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    Re the above - accurate electricity bill now received and accurate refund agreed - that sum has not yet arrived at my bank.
    Shouldn't be a problem, my gas bill came within a few days of the changeover, electric was a week later but cash in my bank the next day. This was BG to TogetherEnergy but should be same for ant switch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure