Housing Benefit question

Hi.
I am trying to work out if my step-son will be entitled to Housing/Council Tax benefit when he starts work, but the online calculators all assume you are already earning.
He will be working 30 hours a week and earning £225. He lives in a two-bed house in Enfield with his 5 year-old son, and is currently unemployed receiving JSA and child tax credit. No one else lives there.
Any ideas if he will be entitled to anything?
Thanks.

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    wyrdskein wrote: »
    Hi.
    I am trying to work out if my step-son will be entitled to Housing/Council Tax benefit when he starts work, but the online calculators all assume you are already earning.
    He will be working 30 hours a week and earning £225. He lives in a two-bed house in Enfield with his 5 year-old son, and is currently unemployed receiving JSA and child tax credit. No one else lives there.
    Any ideas if he will be entitled to anything?
    Thanks.

Not sure what the problem is, You put in the details of what he will be earning and that should answer your question
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think the problem is that the calculator will adjust for tax credits which are counted as income for HB.

He needs to inform tax credits that he will be starting work on xxxx and they will adjust his tax credits (he should be eligible for working tax credits too). Once this is calculated then he can provide this information to the council as regards his HB and CTR.

He should apply for HB and CTR but the amounts he will be paid will be adjusted as they do liaise with HMRC and, of course, he should inform them when he receives his tax credits decision letter.

He may get a 'run on' of HB for 4 weeks if he has been on JSA for 26 weeks or more.

He should inform tax credits asap and also the council as they may stop his money when his JSA claim ends unless he has a 'run on' of JSA.

Someone may help a bit more about the tax credits calculation for him.
  • Bananas123
    Bananas123 Posts: 311 Forumite
    hello,

i think they work it out on a individual basis, so you have to ring them OR hope that a citizens advice person can do it for you (which they may not be able to as complicated).

under 12k income per year should get him a reduction and some housing benefit though i think.

(think if under 10k income, 10k savings you get the "full" eligability (set by LHA), then 10+ to 16k it is reduced up until 16k+ you become not eligable, but not 100%)
  • Thanks. That's really helpful.

It's not just a case of putting in your future earnings. They only ask for 2016/2017 earnings, which is of course zero.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    wyrdskein wrote: »
    Thanks. That's really helpful.

It's not just a case of putting in your future earnings. They only ask for 2016/2017 earnings, which is of course zero.

This one asks for both. The previous year is for tax credits and the current for HB.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk

Ignore the figures in Banana's post, no idea where they've got them from but they will be higher for London.
  • IAmWales wrote: »
    Ignore the figures in Banana's post,

please ignore the !!!!!!!!
    Savings rules for under 60s

If you (and your partner) have total savings of £6,000 or less you do not need to enter an amount, as the first £6,000 of savings is ignored, this is called the lower capital limit.
    You cannot get any of the means-tested benefits (income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Universal Credit if your capital is above the upper limit of £16,000.

your housing rate is set by the LHA dependant on your situation, i said this already.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure