Working 15 hours ...will our JSA change?

katie90
katie90 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 5 December 2012 at 6:44PM in Tax credits & benefits for work
My husband lost his job and we both had to claim job seekers allowance (couple claim Income-based JSA.)..we have no children ..he has now been offered a job but its only 15 hours a week ..what will happen to our claim ? would they stop our allowance or just his? Would we be able to apply for income support instead ?

Comments

• miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Your joint claim will have his earnings deducted from it, minus £10. For instance, if you are eligible for JSA of £110 and earn £100, your JSA payment will be reduced to £20.

If you have paid sufficient NI Conts in your own right, you could make a single claim for JSA. This would not be affected by his earnings.
  • Thanks for your reply...He was the only one working before not me. so would that mean he could apply for a single claim Contributory JSA?
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    katie90 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply...He was the only one working before not me. so would that mean he could apply for a single claim Contributory JSA?

As he is the one that will be working he will not be eligible for JSA once he starts work, as his earnings will be above the applicable amount.
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Thank you for your e-mail

It is correct that any change in circumstances may affect youe entitlements to a means tested benefit such as income related JSA.

However due to your concerns regarding this we would suggest you contact your local CAB and request a Benefit entitlement check. You do have a number of questions that need answering about other possible benefits but before going any further in any claim you could discuss this with one of our advisers.

You can do this by contacting your local Bureau and if the walk-in service is available you could access this or alternatively if you contact our telephone advice line no 08444 77 10 10 and the service is available in your area it may be that an adviser may contact you to offer this check or they can deal with your query over the phone.

Kind regards

Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure