can i claim child tax credits for my grandchildren

2»

Comments

• It's not mercenary it appears that the Spanish authorities has grown some balls.

I wish ours would.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • shazm.69
    shazm.69 Posts: 88 Forumite
    They are spanish but entitled to dual nationality as their mother is British.
    They have no immigration issues they are EU citizens.
    The reason why their are no "SPANISH BENEFIT TOURISTS" is probably because the spanish are not afraid of working for a living. My daughters partner intends to work asap! He has applied for a job already but has no NI number yet.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    shazm.69 wrote: »
    They are spanish but entitled to dual nationality as their mother is British.
    They have no immigration issues they are EU citizens.
    The reason why their are no "SPANISH BENEFIT TOURISTS" is probably because the spanish are not afraid of working for a living. My daughters partner intends to work asap! He has applied for a job already but has no NI number yet.
    My understanding is that even EU members are not entitled to receive benefits immediatly on arrival in a foreign EU country.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's not mercenary it appears that the Spanish authorities has grown some balls.

I wish ours would.

I was just thinking the same thing myself.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • shazm.69
    Who said he was claiming benefits????? He isnt for gods sake if you cant give helpful friendly advice dont bother. Go get a life. You sad interfering old busy bodies
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How long have they been staying with you?

How much money did they bring with them to support themselves till they found employment?
  • shazm.69
    It's not mercenary it appears that the Spanish authorities has grown some balls.

I wish ours would.

Did you live there then and get deserted by your partner with 4 children lose 200k on a house that we stupidly bought there. And then get no help from authorities and were forced to come home. Im leaving this forum and complaining about all you ignorant obviously very bored old men and probably racist. And discriminitive. Why are you even on this forum if all you do is criticize people that are less fortunate than you. One day you or a family member could be in the same boat good riddance and thanks for nothing .
  • Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    My daughter and her 2 children are living with me temporarily. My daughter has been trying to claim tax credits but cannot as they are saying her national insurance number isnt activated. We have been waiting for 3 weeks and when ever we call them they say she has to wait another 2 weeks. She is getting desperate now as she has no money and i cannot afford to support them on my income.
    Can i apply for child tax credits until she gets sorted out?
    Did you live there then and get deserted by your partner with 4 children lose 200k on a house that we stupidly bought there. And then get no help from authorities and were forced to come home. Im leaving this forum and complaining about all you ignorant obviously very bored old men and probably racist. And discriminitive. Why are you even on this forum if all you do is criticize people that are less fortunate than you. One day you or a family member could be in the same boat good riddance and thanks for nothing .

I don't understand?
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Who said he was claiming benefits????? He isnt for gods sake if you cant give helpful friendly advice dont bother. Go get a life. You sad interfering old busy bodies
    I thought the point of this thread was about claiming benefits.
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Thank you for your e-mail

This is a complicated issue that may require your daughter to seek advice and support to clarify the situation.
    If your daughter has not done so yet she should contact the HMRC Tax Credits Helpline on 0345 300 3900 (textphone 0345 300 3909). Calls cost the same as a local rate telephone call.
    The following information is from our website www.adviceguide.org.uk

You'll need to fill in a lot of information, including details of all your income for the previous tax year. You'll also need to give your national insurance and Child Benefit numbers. If you have problems filling in the form, you should look at the notes that come with it, phone the Tax Credits Helpline, or get advice from an expIf you're unhappy about the service you get from HMRC, for example because there have been long delays in dealing with your claim or they have lost documents you sent them, you should complain first of all to the tax credit office which dealt with your claim.
    The HMRC Tax Credit Helpline can explain what you should do if you want to take your complaint further, or you can get help from an experienced adviser.

If your daughter does wish to discuss this further she can contact her local Bureau and attend one of our walk-in services or alternatively contact our telephone advice line team on 0844 77 10 10.

Kind regards
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure