2nd pt job and tax credits

Hi, hope someone may be able to advise me here as google articles are putting me off!

I currently work part time (16hrs) and am a single parent so am in reciept of tax credits and some HB.

I also do voluntary work every week and the trust i do this for has received some funding to be able to employ me and i would very much like this! However, having looked online all I can see is articles saying that it isn't advisable and that i would probably be worse off!

Is this true? i understand the second job would be base rate taxed and at potentially £200 per week I take it this would be £40.

I get a bit of HB too but am confident that any increase in my income will just cancel this out. My biggest fear is that i will end up owing tax credits as everything is worked out retrospectively.

There is also the option to be self-employed for the second job but realise that may potentially be even more difficult as a second income or would it? I have to use my vehicle to do this job if that would make any difference? (not talking petrol claims as already aware of all that, just mean car payments etc.)

I have worked out (hopefully correctly) that i get the following currently:

wages (current employer) £7,920 pa
tax credits (w&c) £6,708 pa
HB £2,750 pa
TOTAL £17,378

would be very grateful for any advice on how to manage this successfully.
The greatest gift you'll ever learn,
is just to love and be loved in return
:love:
Nature boy - Eden Ahbez

Comments

• newmee
    newmee Posts: 395
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    anybody :(
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    Forumite
    Hi Newmee

The CAB aim to respond to queries within two working days. As it is now the weekend, this means that you are unlikely to get any reply from a CAB representative until sometime next week.

You may wish to post your query on the main MSE boards if you require a quicker response.

Dx
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • newmee
    Forumite
    Thank you LazyDaisy i didn't realise sorry.
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    Forumite
    Please don't apologise! If you are able to wait, a CAB rep will be along in the next day or two. If you need a quicker answer, there are always people on the benefits board who know their stuff (though you may encounter the odd person who may lecture you about the benefits of working for a living as opposed to relying on benefits, but you can just ignore them ;) )
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • newmee
    Forumite
    yes, i was trying to avoid those very folk who would only see the bit about benefits and not the bits about already working and wanting a second job! I have seen what they're like. thank you for all your help lazyDaisy. Let's see what advice comes back eh!
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    newmee wrote: »
    yes, i was trying to avoid those very folk who would only see the bit about benefits and not the bits about already working and wanting a second job! I have seen what they're like. thank you for all your help lazyDaisy. Let's see what advice comes back eh!

Dear Newmee,

May we first apologise for the delay in responding to your enquiry.

In order to clarify what action you should take we would recommend that you undergo what we call a ‘better off calculation.’ A better off calculation will provide you with estimated figures on how much income you will have if you decided to take the second job or whether you would be ‘better of’ working 16 hours and claiming the benefits you are currently on.

To do this, you can either visit your local bureau (type your postcode into the following link to find your nearest bureau: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ ) or you can contact an organization called ‘Turn2us’ who provide a similar service over the phone on 0808 802 2000.

Please note that taking up another job would be a change in your circumstance which you should notify the relevant benefit offices of. As you have already identified, if your income does increase, this will affect benefits you are currently receiving.

Please get back to us or contact your local CAB if further assistance is required.

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
  • newmee
    Forumite
    Thank you very much for this Birmingham CAB. I will getin touch with them>
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories