PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House guest won't leave.

Options

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    OP your being taken for a ride. Think with your brain, not down below
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nmp wrote: »
    This is the point that I'm concerned about. I hear that the council have a duty to house a child, but would that mean that they would seperate the mother from the child? Thats something I wouldn't want to happen

That's not your problem. It's not your child. Do you worry this much about all the other unfortunate children in the world?

Let the mother (& her family) worry about the child.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    It's a tough one, easy to say bags outside, change locks but with a child involved its complex as you want to least know she would do the right thing and also ensure the time of day so the council office is still open to visit for emergency housing.

Even an excluded occupier is entitled to reasonable notice. i agree that the notice does not have to be in writing. However, the OP wants the lady to be rehoused and a natty piece of paper she can take to the council will help.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/eviction_of_private_tenants/eviction_of_excluded_occupiers

How long is reasonable depends on the lodger's behaviour. As she is not threatening, merely annoying, 14 days should be okay. And it will reduce the trauma for the child slightly. The OP clearly wants to end this situation in as civilised a way as possible, so that's what I am suggesting.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »

She didn't conceive this child by herself. Is the child living with the father an option since the mother doesn't seem capable of looking after herself or another human being?

Oh I don't think she's stupid, she's very effectively got herself free accommodation and herself and her child supported by a too nice ex!

OP, I wouldn't worry that the child will be taken away, its much easier and cheaper for the council to put them both in a B&B room than to go through the complicated process of removing the child and there aren't exactly an abundance of foster carers around.
  • freeisgood
    freeisgood Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If she turned up at the council offices after you changed locks etc...they would definitely rehome them together....probably in a hostel initially if not a flat immediately. It is their duty (you have been selfless and not in anyway selfish) .
  • pollyannaL
    pollyannaL Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    i would not turn up at the Council with her or even book an appointment for 'advice' - once the housing team see an emotionally involved 'landlord/ friend' I am sure they would put pressure on you to keep her for a bit longer. Offer to take her there and that is it. Make sure it's first thing on a Monday morning and not a Friday. I would provide a letter the next day stating your side of the story, so they have it for her file. They will defo put her up in B&B accommodation if not a hostel; this could be out of county but it's accommodation at end of day. She may be better going to stay with her step-family. Assuming she has mental capacity and can weigh up risks presented to her - it is her decision!

Not to be rude, but if you haven't anything else to gain from this friendship - I would start the ball rolling sooner than later. The child will want stability at nursery/ school and the earlier the better. Particularly if the kid needs to relocate. You need to withdraw emotionally, for the kid's sake, and look at the overall wellbeing of the child. The situation is just dragging on.

Goodluck
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Even an excluded occupier is entitled to reasonable notice. i agree that the notice does not have to be in writing. However, the OP wants the lady to be rehoused and a natty piece of paper she can take to the council will help.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/eviction_of_private_tenants/eviction_of_excluded_occupiers

How long is reasonable depends on the lodger's behaviour. As she is not threatening, merely annoying, 14 days should be okay. And it will reduce the trauma for the child slightly. The OP clearly wants to end this situation in as civilised a way as possible, so that's what I am suggesting.

Next time you let someone in your house as guest(not a lodger) how much notice will you be giving them to go when they now insist it is their home?

The guest has had plenty of notice they are no longer welcome, time to lock the door behind them next time they leave the building.
  • sleepymans
    sleepymans Posts: 902 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Might this woman claim to be in a relationship with you?
    Advice might have to be different, if so....
    Just a thought
    :A Goddess :A
  • Lloyd90
    Lloyd90 Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exactly my thinking.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have to tell her that you want her to leave. She is not going to go by herself. You tell her that she has to leave by a certain date. So she needs to find herself somewhere to live. She can do that by finding a private rental landlord who accepts housing benefit if she is not working or somewhere that she can afford but either way she has 1 week to find something. The local council will have a list of landlords that accept housing benefit.

Do not help her. You have done enough "helping." 9 months is ample helping. She is bone idle and it is time that she started to take responsibility for her actions. You are not her parent or the child's grandparent.

You need to be firm. You can give her a letter explaining the situation that she can take to the council. The council will give her emergency accommodation because they have a duty to house the child. Do not help her at all. You can't help her anyway because actually it is none of your business. You are not in a relationship so what she does is not your business. She is a lodger or house guest and you cannot interfere in her life. You also cannot interfere in the life of her child because you are not related.

When she goes out on the day that she has to leave change the locks. Do not let her back in for any reason. If she leaves anything behind do not let her back in to get it. You can pack it up and put it ready to give to her outside but do not let her back in. Most of all do not feel sorry for her. She is using you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure