Husbands ex and daughter claiming CMS but daughter not going to college

My husbands 17 year old daughter claims to be in college but actually not attending. He tells the CMS but because when they ask his ex wife if his daughter attending college and she say yes they won't listen. This also happened to us with his older son but on the old system! So she basically claims money she is not entitled too. She is on the benefit system so we have contacted benefit fraud and child benefit who replied back but again I'm not convinced they have looked into them. When we ask the daughter for her attendance record we don't hear off her! Any suggestions thanks

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As long as she is enrolled then there is no case to answer.
  • They have to attend regular in order for CMS to be paid or its fraud.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Niceperson wrote: »
    They have to attend regular in order for CMS to be paid or its fraud.

Between 16-18, the child has to be in further education or working, if they are enrolled then that box is ticked, as far as I know the child cannot leave the system until past their 18th birthday.
    The poor attendance will be between the student and the further education department.
  • What makes you think she's not attending college?
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • Thanks for your reply. It is very stressful knowing they could be taken money they are not entitled too like she did on the old system and got away with it! We have written to child benefit and gave them all info about what happened with my husbands son and we did get a response saying they will look into it but we won't hear anything he has since rung again and hopefully she will be checked on but whenever we ask the daughter for her college attendance she goes quiet! But I'm sure it will all come out in the end like it did for his son but don't know
    How to get our payments back! The CMS have told us if it happens again we
    Will get our payments reimbursed. Not convinced.
  • It's an idea we have thought of but thought they would put us on collect and pay where you end up paying more. But would they look into the college side ?
  • jondav wrote: »
    Write to the CMS and ask for a Child Benefit Check. This is more than just asking the other parent, they check to see if child benefit is still being paid or not. Although don't hold your breath, we have requested this three times now and got no response at all. So at the moment, the payments that OH makes have stopped until they prove that they need to be made.

I feel for you, it's very stressful, do come back and let us know how you get on :)

So how long does collect and pay take to set up? I take it your still waiting for CMS to set it up as you mentioned you are putting the payments aside ready? Thanks
  • Ok makes sense. Ours was a new claim from last year we were on CSA 2 and it closed and his ex opened a new case with CMS and tried to claim for son as well how cheeky knowing he wasn't attending college and we just think
    same going with daughter as his ex is on benefits and will lose quite a bit once she leaves if she hasn't already as we are suspicious as like previously said she won't discuss anything on her college and won't have a lot to do with us.
  • I totally agree with you in the fact that people think we don't want to pay my husband was left in debt she had affairs and paid always for the children and quite a high amount 568 a month for one! But yeah as the saying goes what goes around comes around and she will have her day if not now! Hopefully if they are lying then they will get caught and case closed anyway thanks for your advice it does help.
  • Rejast
    Rejast Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Niceperson wrote: »
    It's an idea we have thought of but thought they would put us on collect and pay where you end up paying more. But would they look into the college side ?

They will only look into the child benefit not actual attendance, if the parent is receipt of Child Benefit they are able to claim maintenence. If the child is enrolled for the term (whether they attend or not) they are eligible for Child Benefit.

I've had experience where a child has turned up to enrol at college, attended for a week or so but still been eligible for CB and CM for the whole term, got kicked out and enrolled somewhere else. and so the cycle continued
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure