HMV false advertising

124»

Comments

• Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    I suppose they must have done research, which suggests that p'ing off some customers, is still ok, if they make sales they might have not, if they had an out of stock sign up.

This has always baffled me. Shirley any research done by HMV can only use the HMV store figures, so is only applicable to HMV customers.

Many of the great unwashed public like me go nowhere near HMV and prefer to shop online at the likes of Amazon. It's cheaper, you know it's in stock and better customer service. HMV will never attract my business.

Even Argos has an online stock check!

Dave
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    While I know you won't go anywhere near an HMV Dave_C I would inform you they too have an online stock check & reserve facility these days. Hasn't been up for long but it's there.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was HMV's last Christmas. They provide nothing that can't be done better online - and cheaper.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Ultimately they're advertising something they CAN sell when they have the stock (you'll almost always find a disclaimer somewhere in the shop saying products available where stocks last), that's basic retail common sense.

As for "if they can't make a profit selling an item" again, it's long term thinking, they might not make any profit on the console/bundle but they WILL make a profit on the games after the initial bundle purchase. Now if you take that viewpoint no one would sell the consoles - for as long as I worked in games retail new console sales were the smallest margin products in store! But you HAVE to sell them if you want to sell your core product - if you get my meaning - it's a necessary evil.

This is the problem though.

IMO the people who are moaning about this, are only trying to get them from the stores, as they cannot get them off the internet !

HMV have a cat in hells chance of making any profit from games sales later, as the people who have bought the console from them, will of course abandon the shop and buy online. So any profit they make off the console, will be the only profit they will ever see.

And people are moaning saying they are getting bad customer service ! Why should you receive good service, if you have no intention of buying from them again, you are just using them to greedily get what you want, with no intention of becoming a regular customer of theirs.

It is a 2 way street guys !
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Dave_C wrote: »
    This has always baffled me. Shirley any research done by HMV can only use the HMV store figures, so is only applicable to HMV customers.

Many of the great unwashed public like me go nowhere near HMV and prefer to shop online at the likes of Amazon. It's cheaper, you know it's in stock and better customer service. HMV will never attract my business.

Even Argos has an online stock check!

Dave

..and don't call me Shirley:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    rustyboy21 wrote: »

IMO the people who are moaning about this, are only trying to get them from the stores, as they cannot get them off the internet !

HMV have a cat in hells chance of making any profit from games sales later, as the people who have bought the console from them, will of course abandon the shop and buy online. So any profit they make off the console, will be the only profit they will ever see.

And people are moaning saying they are getting bad customer service ! Why should you receive good service, if you have no intention of buying from them again, you are just using them to greedily get what you want, with no intention of becoming a regular customer of theirs.

So:
    You've made up the fact that people only want to buy them from the stores as they can't get hold of them online
    You've made up the fact that people who buy consoles in the shops will then buy games online later
    You've made up the fact that people are greedy and don't intend to be a regular customer.

Apart from that, good post.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    When I worked in Woolworths years ago, we always had the same problem at Christmas, if it wasn't the bloody Thunderbirds Tracey Island, it was Disney videos, or Take That cd's or something else that everybody wanted.

I do understand what Bluenoseam is saying about the phone calls, I've spent ages both on the phone and in person to people, trying to explain that I had absolutely no control over stock shortages for products from China. I've been shouted at, sworn at and made to feel totally and uniquely responsible for ruining a child's Christmas.

Having said that, the simple solution is to tape a piece of A4 paper to the front of the display saying.....

NOT CURRENTLY IN STOCK
    NO DEFINITE DATE FOR DELIVERY
    RESERVATIONS CURRENTLY NOT TAKEN FOR THIS ITEM
    SORRY!

It would save a lot of time for both customers and store assistants! :D
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    rustyboy21 wrote: »

A shop is there to sell things, right?

If you don't have anything to sell then there are no sales, obviously.

I've bought things in HMV because (a) it was convenient, and (b) the price was right.

Buying via the internet has its pluses and minuses too.

But if a shop goes out with the attitude that there's no point in selling a product, then it's probably a self-fulfilling attitude and they probably won't sell a lot.

But anyway, in my case, the price was good, it's just that they didn't have the product to sell that they were offering.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure