NatWest bank charges - Wecot have not replied in 9 months

Options

Comments

• boomclart
    boomclart Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    It's irrelevant how it actually works, the issue was being informed by the person providing the account that it could not go overdrawn.

I fully understand the process since but at the time I did not.

I believe it was a current plus account.

There has been no need to press ahead with regulatory body, I am not in any financial hardship and I strongly believe I am able to put my own point across.

Hence why today I have found out NatWest dropped the charges. Just a shame neither Wescot, Triton or NatWest felt like telling me, and after 9 months I decided to call them as me and my partner are thinking about a mortgage and this needs to be removed from my records.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    boomclart wrote: »
    It's irrelevant how it actually works, the issue was being informed by the person providing the account that it could not go overdrawn.

There has been no need to press ahead with regulatory body, I am not in any financial hardship and I strongly believe I am able to put my own point across.

Hence why today I have found out NatWest dropped the charges. Just a shame neither Wescot, Triton or NatWest felt like telling me, and after 9 months I decided to call them as me and my partner are thinking about a mortgage and this needs to be removed from my records.

Thats great I can imagine it will be a painful process for you however if you represent yourself with out contacting any regulatory body that's brilliant.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • stclair
    Options
    Triton are going to have the issue looked into by a specific team to see what can be done and I should receive a call back within 2 working days.

Looking positive that I can get this one and only default off my credit reports sooner rather than later.

You do know Triton is just Natwest/RBS inhouse DCA?
  • boomclart
    Options
    Yes this was apparent when they transferred me to them today... anything else you would like to enlighten me on...
  • jackjones01
    jackjones01 Posts: 469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I currently have one defaulted account on my credit reports which relates to a NatWest basic account I opened for the sole purpose of using for online payments, paypal, ebay etc

The reasoning behind it is the account only ever has the money in it required for purchase so anyone ever gaining the bank details via mismanagement of data by those that hold the details, i.e. online companies, means I am at a significantly reduced risk of loss.

Anyway, I requested the most basic account in person at a NatWest branch in Newcastle. The lady advised me the basic personal account I was to sign upto had no monthly fees and no overdraft and could not go overdrawn (stress this point, she said it could not go overdrawn)

Well with this being an account only used for online purchases I only ever transferred sufficient funds to then make the purchase online. The account was not monitored as I knew I always had to put the money in before I could make the payment online.

It then transpires a payment was made from the account where insufficient funds were at the time (I believe $1.36 (american keyboard, should be GBP) and NatWest still proceeded with the payment and did not decline as they should when insufficient funds are in an account which has no overdraft facility. Therefore a few months down the line I receive letters stating I have unpaid charge which I was abviously unaware of and not expecting from an account which can not go overdrawn.

I tried discussing this with the but they pointed out they could make payments within the T&Cs regardless of whether I had sufficient funds at the time to complete the payment and could then charge me.

They eventually passed this to Wecot who I have raised the issue with, advsing them that I was never happy with NatWests respsonse to my inital complaint of being charged despite being advised by staff upon opening the account that it could not go overdrawn. They have subsequently halted action on my account since 08.07.11 stating they have acknowledged my query on the account and will investigate this with NatWest and the process may take several weeks.

Well 9 months on pretty much I have not had a single piece of correspondence from Wescot or NatWest regarding the matter despite still being at the same address and with the same contact numbers.

The account on my credit reports has not been updated in any way as it was prior to opening the query with Wescot.

Is there any time period either Wescot or NatWest have to respond to such a matter before I can take further actions or declare the issue null and void in some way?

I am basically sat here twiddling my thumbs, unable to secure a mortgage or any sort of loan should I desire one. My financial life is basically on hold until these decide to pull their proverbial fingers out of their you know whats.

Any advice?

What would happen if your Orange defaults was to re-appear on your credit reports you would still be in the same situation would you not :p
  • boomclart
    Options
    What would happen if your Orange defaults was to re-appear on your credit reports you would still be in the same situation would you not :p

Well it hasn't so I am not :P
  • boomclart
    Options
    It's clearly stated above stclair

originally NatWest, they then passed it to their collections department Triton, it was then passed to Westcot, I contacted Wescot 9 months ago and advised I was still disputing the matter with NatWest/Triton and did not believe it should of been passed to them. They advised they would put a freeze on the account and contact NatWest to discuss my concerns.

I never heard anything since, so today I rang Westcot who advised the account was closed and I should contact NatWest, NatWest passed me to Triton who informed me NatWest wrote off the debt as it was made up of mainly of charges and I have asked them to have the defaults removed which they are looking into doing for me now as in their notes it appears NatWest accepted my claims of mis sell hence them cancelling the debt.

But it's nice of no one to then advise me of this decision, and upon checking my credit files I see the default has not been removed.
  • stclair
    edited 6 April 2012 at 12:54AM
    Options

It just that you said highlight above made it sounds if there was another party involved.

Good luck with it all anyway keep the thread updated with your progress.
  • boomclart
    Options
    No, I am the only account holder and the account was passed along as per

NatWest > Triton > Westcot > on hold for 9 months (or so I thought) > NatWest/Triton closed account sometime on the basis of my complaint and none of the above advised me of this outcome and default is yet to be removed.

That's where we are at... When I rang Westcot I was half expecting them to say something stupid like we are still investigating it with NatWest this is why I started this thread, anticipating some excuse for why it is taking 9 months to come to a decision or at very least come back to me on the matter.
  • stclair
    edited 6 April 2012 at 1:11AM
    Options
    No, I am the only account holder and the account was passed along as per

NatWest > Triton > Westcot > on hold for 9 months (or so I thought) > NatWest/Triton closed account sometime on the basis of my complaint and none of the above advised me of this outcome and default is yet to be removed.

That's where we are at... When I rang Westcot I was half expecting them to say something stupid like we are still investigating it with NatWest this is why I started this thread, anticipating some excuse for why it is taking 9 months to come to a decision or at very least come back to me on the matter.

That's why you should have contacted the FOS it would have assisted in speeding up the process. However you have made it clear you want to go it alone.. Because if it was me I would have contacted them months ago. You may also want some in writing confirming what has been agreed and what they are intending to do to resolve it for you. You being told the debts written off over the phone does not mean anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family