PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I have lost my OS ways, help!

Caterina
Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 22 July 2014 at 4:42PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hello all,

I haven't posted for ages although I still lurk quite regularly. The problem is, since DH got a decent job with a commensurate salary I have become lazy. In the last couple of years I have been on a slippery slope with spending! Before, there was no question, I just had to save and scrimp, we had a mortgage and two children, then two teens.

Now because of a series of circumstances we no longer have a mortgage (well we do but it is almost negligible), the teens have grown and are semi-independent, DH has the much better job and salary, I do a few hours per week childcare and earn a reasonable amount.

In recent months we have started home improvements, now that finally we can afford it, but I look at the bank balance and the look at the future with all its potential scary things and I get worried.

How do I get back on the straight and narrow? Don't get me wrong, I did not go out and fritter money away, after all once an OSer forever an OSer! But I have been less careful in general.

Also, I have a dilemma: what would be better for me, taking into account financial factors AND happiness quotient, to look for more work, or to economise?

All ideas and suggestions will be welcome, as well as hearing from people who. Like me, lost their OS mojo for a while but managed to get back to the good ways.

Thank you.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).

Comments

• mrsmortenharket
    mrsmortenharket Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    I shall follow this thread with interest as I've fallen off the wagon.

I'm glad your life has improved though x
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2014 at 7:16PM
    Caterina wrote: »
    Hello all,

I haven't posted for ages although I still lurk quite regularly ...............

:hello: again Caterina - had been thinking that I'd not seen your name on here for ages, so it's good to hear from you again :D.

Like you, I had a while away from MSE - though as you say, 'once an OS'er, always an OS'er'
    even if the path becomes a little indistinct at times ;).

I shall follow this thread with interest as I've fallen off the wagon.

I'm glad your life has improved though x

Welcome back to you too :wave:, MrsMortenHarket

What I found helped me was to start posting regularly on at least ONE of the 'daily threads' - the rest then seems to fall back into place gradually.

Looking forward to reading how you both manage to get yourselves back into gear :T.

Caterina - I particularly remember you doing your own 'baked beans' and all kinds of delicious Italian Recipes. Pretty certain that you also used Spelt flour for baking your own breads ............. :).
  • Hi CATERINA you're still OS underneath, it's a bit like riding a bike pet, you never really forget you just get a bit out of practise if you haven't done it for a while. You just need to get back on and ride as it were and you'll get your balance back very quickly. We're here to help if you need us, welcome home!!! Lyn xxx.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    you need to sit down and look at your finances - keep a 'spending diary' - now where do you see you are 'going off-piste'?
    a few takeaways? ready meals? meals out? or not keeping a tight rein on finances? or is it more with the 'disposables'? upgrading the TV when the old one works perfectly well? new moby's? not entirely sure how to advise as you don't say HOW exactly your finances worry you?
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    This is me too was doing so well but couple of holidays later, having to help family out now at bottom of ladder again need to get back to saving, cutting back, menu planning ! Will watch with interest x
    Frugal challenge 2024

• Caterina
    edited 13 July 2014 at 8:40AM
    Thank you dear old friends, and new ones too. At the moment I am definitely spending more on takeaways and ready meals because I don't have a kitchen, we cook like students on a two ring electric tabletop cooker and do the washing up in the bathroom. No point starting a spending diary now because I know it would be excessive. Sometimes it is all too much and bagged salad ready washed is so much easier, or ready grated cheese means I have one less gadget to wash (upstairs)!

Once I have a nice new kitchen I know that the food side of things will fall back into place.

It is more a mindset I need to re-enter and I think that Lilyplonk is right, the posting on one of the daily threads might help and inspire me again.

Meanwhile I have opened this little corner which is a start. Good night all and thanks again xx
  • mrsmortenharket
    mrsmortenharket Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    We had chippy dinner tonight.
    But tomorrow I will make the pork that's been in the freezer since the meat pack I got at Christmas.

Tbh Caterina, without a kitchen it's very hard to be OS with the cooking x
  • Caterina
    edited 13 July 2014 at 8:39AM
    mrsmortenharket, SNAP! We had chippy too, but in keeping with my renewed OS vows we shared one portion between the two of us as it is big enough. We reasoned that half a fish contains at least as much fish as 4 fish fingers (our normal portion). The chips are plentiful and freshly cooked, very nice. Our local chippy has a Saturday special for £5 which for London is unbelievable value! And accompanied by homemade salad, yogurt with almonds and a bit of homemade strawberry jam and a glass of wine (a bottle lasts us 2-3 days) it was a veritable feast for very little expense. Especially compared with a potential restaurant outing!

Glad to be back on course. It will be much easier once we have a proper kitchen, but in the meantime I shall just have to make intermediate wise choices!
  • That is a good price for London. I love London and always wish I lived there. Of course, house prices are madness so I shall settle with just outside London.
    We had too many chips last night so shall cut down next time.
    I've been to asda. I am fully stocked up so apart from bread/fruit, we should be ok this week.
    I'm dreading the children being off school. Entertaining them will be hard...14 year old girl, 12 year old boy and a 5 year old boy who is Autistic! I will take the train to London with them as the museums are free but not sure how 5 year old will manage.

Right, I am going to do a meal plan. Which should have been done before I went shopping...!
  • Caterina
    Let me know if you are coming anywhere near Greenwich and we can arrange to meet for a cup of tea in the park
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure