how long to settle estate after house sale?

Hi there, does anyone know, after house sale how long before estate shared out?.
Probate all sorted last year and most things paid out, just gas, elec, council tax,,mortgage,estate agent bill and solicitor bill to pay. It is 6 weeks ago that new buyers moved into house and i was thinking how long does it usually take to settle everything at this stage?. Dont want to phone solicitor as she is useless, very long story and dont want to air this on the forum.Thanks

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,944
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    How long is a piece of string?

I'm waiting for the paperwork to arrive from the probate office, having had my interview last Friday, they said that would arrive within 2 weeks. However I don't know how long it will take for the banks to start sending in the dosh once I've sent that out.

I don't think there is much alternative to phoning the solicitor and asking for a progress report. Clearly they've gathered in the money for the house, so asking when you are going to see it would not be unreasonable.

They might now be advertising in the London Gazette to make sure there aren't any other debtors.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How long is a piece of string

Unfortunatly this is true! but very annoying!

You could ask your solicitor for an interim payment from the estate, if you are in need of funds.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks so much, both of you x.I am not in desperate need of funds and will not phone solicitor!! she has been rubbish (also i disowned a brother and sister over what she let them do with mums effects) this is too much for me to get into right now.My younger bro is on hols at the moment but will get him to phone when he gets back.The only good thing about this is the fact we will each (5 of us) get an individual summary of what went in and what was paid out and a cheque paid to each of us.Once again thank you for taking the time to reply x
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Realistically six weeks after a house sale doesn't seem very long to tie up the loose ends and produce estate accounts - you would be lucky to have paid all the final bills in six weeks. That said if your brother rings it should ensure that it is as quick as possible and she will give you a timescale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure