PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

preparing meals on a budget with 4 month old baby??!!

Hi i have just realise that i need to save some money have just worked out that im spending roughly £270 a month on food!!!!! and there is only 2 of us and a baby! and to add my partner buys food at work!

im due back at work in june and will be doing serious shift work and my partner works earlies so i really need some advice/tips on quick, healthy and cheap meals!!! and if anyoune knows how suitable they are to blend for a baby(who will eat anything- how lucky!!!)

so if anyone has ANY ADVICE it would be appreciated!!!!!!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Edward 4 on xmas day and baby Benjamin born 28/12/09 weighing a whopping 9lb14oz!!

Comments

• Karnam
    Karnam Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    well my little one still has food specially cooked for her, as shes not old enough to eat with us yet... then again we're terribly unhealthy so its prob best this way

im a fan of making my own lunches... my OH is fussy though so i give him a cash budget each week
    :A Boots Tart :A
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    We used to blend whatever we were having and give it to the baby once they were eating solids.
    To begin with we blended cooked plain veg for first course and cooked apple to add to baby rice for pudding.
    We avoided tomatoes ,spices and seasoning and anything with wheat (pasta and flour based)or cows milk .Pears can give babies the runs and orange juice is supposed to agravate nappy rash
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    i know there is a lot of talk on the board about cooking baby food, pureeing to desired consistancy, and then freezing individual portions in ice cube trays. then you just pop out as many as you need according to baby's appetite.

other than that, planning and preparation is the name of the game. draw up a meal plan, shop sensibly according to your meal plans, make surplus and freeze to build up stock of homemade 'ready' meals
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • rach29
    rach29 Posts: 2,503 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I buy fruit & vegetables from the greengrocer about once a week and do a major cook up.Then I freeze the results into ice cubes & when frozen transfer to freezer bags. That way I can dish up different amounts at any time & then zap in the microwave for an instant meal. This costs between £5 & £10 per week but you can shop around for cheap veg etc. I also invested in a hand held mixer & often whiz up whatever we are eating. The upside of this is that you can make things as smooth or lumpy as you like as little 'un grows.
    Thanks to all who post comps :A :T
  • fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lidl have half price fruit and veg just now (although this might just be regional). At the weekend I went and bought two huge butternut squashes and some pears as that is a favourite meal. Then I loaded up a huge bag of sweet potatos which is another weaning favourite, esp with a dash of cinnamon.

I tend to do a big cook every Friday and freeze into the Avent Pots (with blue lids)

Means the night before, I can just take out a couple of pots to defrost overnight.

Good luck!

fluffynit

p.s have PM you OP, but here is a website if others are interested

http://www.annabelkarmel.co.uk/
  • fantastic guys thankyou!! i made him some brocolli chicken and potato the other day felt soooo sorry for him i wouldnt of had it myself but he loved it!!! invested in a blender already going shopping today i heard aldi was pretty good for veg??!! morrisons and especially tesco are rubbish!! ill also give the annabel karmel website a go thankyou!!!!!
    Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
    Edward 4 on xmas day and baby Benjamin born 28/12/09 weighing a whopping 9lb14oz!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure