PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Plums

Not sure if this is the right place - so please move if not!!!

My plum tree has gone mad!!! It is a relatively new tree (4 or years old) and has never really yielded much (Had an infestation of some sort last year!) But this year it has gone mad!!! and I have no idea what to do with them all? I am looking for ideas that would work as preserves for Christmas gifts and would really appreciate your ideas and recipes! Thanks

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    I have been making plum cake all summer with the plums given to me by a local. Depending on how many you have I'd maybe destone & then freeze them.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Plum jam :)
  • chrissy59
    chrissy59 Posts: 40 Forumite
    make plum chutney.
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    Something like this:
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/28394/apple-and-plum-chutney.aspx

It's what I'm planning on making for some people for Christmas.

In fact I'll swap some of my glut of apples for some of your plums and it's then almost free ;-)
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I love plum jam and still have a kilner jar full from 2013 - it is still OK!
    However, if you have a lot then make some chutney and save the best for a plum crumble or plum tarte tatin.
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    well I picked and washed them and have 2.5 kg - I had picked some on Friday but went away at the weekend and they had gone bad by yesterday! So I think as time is short today and they obviously don't last - I will freeze what I have today and look for a recipe for jam for half and chutney for half! I would love to find someone willing to share a glut of apples cyantist (or anything else really) my apple tree (a mini one!) has yielded about 4 apples!!!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    If you make jam from frozen plums add very little water - my experience is that they go watery and take forever to cook. 2am jam stirring is no fun, take it from me :)
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Plum Clafoutis (dessert pudding) is fabulous. My neighbour has a plum tree like you have and I make this with the bag she gives me. Everyone loves it, and it is so easy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/plumclafoutis_11536
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    You have to freeze plums very quickly after lixking. Half and destonenthem and if possible try to freeze them on an open tray before bagging up. Frozen plums make excellent jam. Or you can bottle them in brandy and wrap the jars with fancy wrappings for presents. They are also excellent compoted down on their own to eat with porridge, rice pudding or semolina
  • Shereen
    Shereen Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I often stew plums with garlic, ginger, finely chopped onions, chilli, splash of soy sauce and sugar or honey to taste. Makes a lovely sweet-savoury sauce for stir fries or roast pork.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure