JSA - Can they sanction me?

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Should I tell my advisor Friday? OR just keep stum?
    Best to tell them but get a good reason sorted before you do tell them such as excessive travel time or excessive costs to get to/from work leaving you worse off.
    I have to relocate as there are no jobs in my area. I said specifically i was looking to relocate to Leicester. I have told them I do not currently own a car as I currently am not willing/able to drive long distances without someone else with me. I had a car accident 1 month ago and I am still very shaken from this.
    Agreed but don't tell them that you want to relocate.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • MissSarah1972
    MissSarah1972 Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Should I tell my advisor Friday? OR just keep stum?
    I am guessing they may ask you how the application went and all the ones I have applied for that I got either a no from or feedback I print the email and give it to the adviser to put in my file. I can not tell you what to tell them as you have turned down an interview. If they wanted to find out I guess they could. There was a poster on here the other night saying that they have a form to fill in from the JC after they didn't apply for a job they were given. Sorry can't really advise what to say on this one. IF you have no £ to get there how can anyone be expected if you also have not had a payment yet.
  • HappyMJ wrote: »
    Best to tell them but get a good reason sorted before you do tell them such as excessive travel time or excessive costs to get to/from work leaving you worse off.

Agreed but don't tell them that you want to relocate.

They worked out that I wanted to relocate when they looked at hte jobs I was applying for.

The train is £20 return. For the interview I would have to pay that out twice as they wanted me on two seperate days. THat doesn't include the cost of getting me to the train station from my home. or getting from the train station to the school.
  • I am guessing they may ask you how the application went and all the ones I have applied for that I got either a no from or feedback I print the email and give it to the adviser to put in my file. I can not tell you what to tell them as you have turned down an interview. If they wanted to find out I guess they could. There was a poster on here the other night saying that they have a form to fill in from the JC after they didn't apply for a job they were given. Sorry can't really advise what to say on this one. IF you have no £ to get there how can anyone be expected if you also have not had a payment yet.

Agreed. I signed on almost a month ago and no money yet. I am living on practicaly thin air at the moment :( I'm walking to the job centre as cant afford the bus.
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They worked out that I wanted to relocate when they looked at hte jobs I was applying for.

The train is £20 return. For the interview I would have to pay that out twice as they wanted me on two seperate days. THat doesn't include the cost of getting me to the train station from my home. or getting from the train station to the school.
    Get the full costings and times from home to the place of work. What does the job pay? Deduct the tax and NI then deduct the cost of gettting to/from work and how much are you left with. Then pay your rent and council tax then if you have more than £71.00 per week (assuming you are over 25) then you may be sanctioned. They don't allow lack of £'s as an excuse unfortunately.
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • ultimatedingbat
    ultimatedingbat Posts: 750 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2012 at 12:02AM
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Get the full costings and times from home to the place of work. What does the job pay? Deduct the tax and NI then deduct the cost of gettting to/from work and how much are you left with. Then pay your rent and council tax then if you have more than £71.00 per week (assuming you are over 25) then you may be sanctioned. They don't allow lack of £'s as an excuse unfortunately.

I am 22. Home to place of work is not really calculatable as the job was in Mancheter so it would depend where I was living in Manchester. I don't know how I would get to work and the cost, because it would depend on where I lived.

Job would be I suppose standard rate for NQT teachers but I have no idea what that is. I think it comes to something like 18k post tax

It is their mess up that's left me with no money. Surely they can't expect me to magic £40 out of thin air plus teh bus fares around Manchester. AND the lack of time is more the problem as if I had more notice than 10 hours (5:30 am to get the train) / 14 hours pre interview (9:30am), then I might have been able to sort something out. I paid £36 a week and a half ago for an interview and that was the last of my money.
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 July 2012 at 12:09AM
    I am 23. Home to place of work is not really calculatable as the job was in Mancheter so it would depend where I was living in Manchester. I don't know how I would get to work and the cost, because it would depend on where I lived.

Job would be I suppose standard rate for NQT teachers but I have no idea what that is. I think it comes to something like 18k post tax

It is their mess up that's left me with no money. Surely they can't expect me to magic £40 out of thin air plus teh bus fares around Manchester. AND the lack of time is more the problem as if I had more notice than 10 hours (5:30 am to get the train) / 14 hours pre interview (9:30am), then I might have been able to sort something out. I paid £36 a week and a half ago for an interview and that was the last of my money.
    Almost...£21,588 which is £331 a week or £321 if you have student loans to repay. A room in Manchester would be around £90 a week and your travelcard would cost £19 a week.

How would you have paid the first month of expenses anyway without any cash behind you? You would need to pay at least 4 weeks rent for your room and travel and general living costs until you are paid which as a teacher starting in September won't be until October. I'd explain to jobcentre that after thinking about it you now cannot afford to relocate (even though in reality you are).
  • HappyMJ wrote: »
    Almost...£21,588 which is £331 a week. A room in Manchester would be around £90 a week and your travelcard would cost £19 a week.

How would you have paid the first month of expenses anyway without any cash behind you? You would need to pay at least 4 weeks rent for your room and travel and general living costs until you are paid which as a teacher starting in September won't be until October. I'd explain to jobcentre that after thinking about it you now cannot afford to relocate (even though in reality you are).

I am awaiting on my deposit back from my previous flat. I have got some money in a savings account, or rather my parents do. I can not access it without their agreement which is why I can not access it.

If i dont agree that I am going to relocate then they will start to question what i am aplying for as there are no teaching jobs locally.
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am awaiting on my deposit back from my previous flat. I have got some money in a savings account, or rather my parents do. I can not access it without their agreement which is why I can not access it.

If i dont agree that I am going to relocate then they will start to question what i am aplying for as there are no teaching jobs locally.
    They will ask why don't your parents do a faster payment to you overnight so you can go to the train station first thing in the morning going past the cash point withdrawing the money and then paying for the train ticket. Agreeing to relocate and only looking for work which requires a train journey and also having no money to actually buy a train ticket is not going to go down well with them.

You don't need to agree to relocate and you can still apply for work anywhere in the UK. Personally, I'd just put a few local jobs down on the form even if they aren't related to your skills and leave the ones that are out of your area off the form.
  • MissSarah1972
    MissSarah1972 Posts: 1,648 Forumite

You do not need to just apply for teaching jobs surely? I have three jobs on my job agreement
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure