Can I draw out ALL my pension?

Lynsab
Lynsab Posts: 14 Forumite
Hi Newbie here

I have two small works pensions which were 'frozen' some time ago after moving on in jobs etc.

Both after finally tracking them down thru the pensions service are worth approx £12k each so even with a lump sum payout will pay approx £500 per year.

Am I allowed to take ALL of the funds out? I have been trying to find out IF there is a limit on low pensions and cannot find it, but I would like to re-invest it elsewhere for the next ten years. I don,t wish to put it in another pension either, it will go offshore.

I have asked both companies involved and I never get a straight answer, so would like to know if its possible before I continue on.Btw I am 57 and Live in sunnier climes now too:j

Thanks in advance:smiley:

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I am not an expert so don't know if this is absolutly correct BUT I think as you are currently over 50 (changes to 55 soon) you can take out 25% as a tax free lump sum. You can't just withdraw a pension fund and invest it elsewhere but you can transfer it to another provider. There are sometimes pesion schemes written that if you leave before a certain time you can take back your contributions but it's usually a short time after commecing the job and not years after you have left. Your providor should be able to give you a straight answer, keep at them till they do.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 January 2010 at 2:09PM
    You are thinking of the trivial pensions rules. Unfortunately they only apply if your total pension pot after adding all the pensions together, is worth less than £17500

More info here....

http://www.litrg.org.uk/news/index.cfm?id=339
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I allowed to take ALL of the funds out?

Not unless you are aged 60 or over and all your pensions have a value (or indicated value) or less than 1% of the lifetime allowance (which equates to £17500 at the moment).
    but I would like to re-invest it elsewhere for the next ten years.

what would be the point of that?
    I don,t wish to put it in another pension either, it will go offshore.

its more tax efficient onshore.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lynsab wrote: »
    Hi Newbie here

I have two small works pensions which were 'frozen' some time ago after moving on in jobs etc.

Both after finally tracking them down thru the pensions service are worth approx £12k each so even with a lump sum payout will pay approx £500 per year.

Am I allowed to take ALL of the funds out? I have been trying to find out IF there is a limit on low pensions and cannot find it, but I would like to re-invest it elsewhere for the next ten years. I don,t wish to put it in another pension either, it will go offshore.

I have asked both companies involved and I never get a straight answer, so would like to know if its possible before I continue on.Btw I am 57 and Live in sunnier climes now too:j

Thanks in advance:smiley:
    If memory serves, trivial commutation (i.e. taking all the pension at once) is only allowed if your total pension pot is worth up to 1% of the lifetime allowance. As such, with £24k in pensions, you are ineligible for this.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • Lynsab
    Lynsab Posts: 14 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies, thats what I suspected its to low also to transfer to a QROPS apparently. So would you suggest leaving well alone and not even take the lump sum so as not to diminsh the pension further, if nothing else its £1k a year for life I suppose. Not to be sniffed at;)
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lynsab wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, thats what I suspected its to low also to transfer to a QROPS apparently. So would you suggest leaving well alone and not even take the lump sum so as not to diminsh the pension further, if nothing else its £1k a year for life I suppose. Not to be sniffed at;)
    Unless there are very high guaranteed rates people would usually be better off taking the maximum tax free lump sum and investing it for income elsewhere (25% tax free cash gives you more flexibility but still allows you to invest it for income without the complication of a pension wrapper if you choose). Under your circumstances, however, you will need to find out if the tax free lump sum would actually be tax free, as some countries don't recognise this and instead treat it as part return of capital and part capital gains, subject to their usual taxes. You'll need to find out precisely how your pensions will be taxed before you make any decision as to how to proceed with commencement.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure