Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Anyone know about foodbanks?

Hobb
Hobb Posts: 42 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 4 December 2012 at 5:34PM in Charities
Hi. I'm a newbie on here.

Does anyone have any experience with foodbanks please? Things are a little tough at the moment, and the cupboards are just about bare.

I know there are several foodbanks in the local area, but I was wondering how you apply to them if anyone knows.

Thanks. :)

I hope I've posted this in the right place btw.

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You really need to be referred to them by the job centre or benefits agency maybe your housing association or somewhere else. Some towns have a soup kitchen where you can drop in for a free meal and then ask about some food for the next few days. They will then refer you to the correct place. You should be able to do an internet search to see what is around your area.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Hobb
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    You really need to be referred to them by the job centre or benefits agency maybe your housing association or somewhere else. Some towns have a soup kitchen where you can drop in for a free meal and then ask about some food for the next few days. They will then refer you to the correct place. You should be able to do an internet search to see what is around your area.
    Thanks MJ. I'm on ESA so my contact with benefits is minimum. Also in council housing. But I'll search around and see what I can find.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hobb wrote: »
    Thanks MJ. I'm on ESA so my contact with benefits is minimum. Also in council housing. But I'll search around and see what I can find.
    You can apply for a crisis loan. At that point you can ask about emergency food banks and the jobcentre should refer you there whilst you wait for your crisis loan to be approved. You will only get enough food for 3 days though and you aren't supposed to be referred very often. Every local food bank has it's own limits. It's supposed to be there for emergencies only such as benefits payments not being paid on time. It isn't supposed to be used as a benefit supplement.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Hobb
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    You can apply for a crisis loan. At that point you can ask about emergency food banks and the jobcentre should refer you there whilst you wait for your crisis loan to be approved. You will only get enough food for 3 days though and you aren't supposed to be referred very often. Every local food bank has it's own limits. It's supposed to be there for emergencies only such as benefits payments not being paid on time. It isn't supposed to be used as a benefit supplement.
    That's fine thanks. My ESA was stopped mid-October (change from contribution to income based) and was my sole income, so the cupboards really are getting a bit bare.

Thanks anyway.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Hobb, you can also have a look on Facebook for your local foodbank. Maybe you could write a message on their wall, or PM the person who runs it.

My local foodbank is run by the local Christian Fellowship, and they provide a phone number on their website that you can call to ask for help from the foodbank. It may be worth looking to see if yours offers the same.

Good luck :)
  • bloss0m
    bloss0m Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The Trussle trust run many of them

http://www.trusselltrust.org/start-a-foodbank

as said I think you need to be refereed to cut down on fraud, check also to see whether you have all benefits you are entitled to, may get on a utility tariff where you can get £130 off your bill I forgot the name of what its called, must check
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hobb wrote: »
    That's fine thanks. My ESA was stopped mid-October (change from contribution to income based) and was my sole income, so the cupboards really are getting a bit bare.

Have you had help from anyone to see what other benefits you could apply for? If you have no other income and less than £6k in capital, you should be able to claim something.
  • Hobb
    Thanks everyone. I'll follow up on all the comments.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Referral doesn't have to be from benefits: could be GP, local minister, health visitor if there are children - usually quite a wide range, as I understand it.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Hobb
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Referral doesn't have to be from benefits: could be GP, local minister, health visitor if there are children - usually quite a wide range, as I understand it.
    Again, many thanks. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport