Esta application for USA rip off!

I have just been charged EUR 59.00 for the pleasure of processing an ESTA application. I realised I was not on the official site to late and had already authorised my Mastercard.

I had an online chat with one of their representatives and complained about the amount they had charged. I asked them to cancel it and refund my card.

She said "I have verified our system and your application (PIN# 14086211) has been processed and approved.Your authorization number is RW9RR986R9AQH4Q2 and is valid for two years, expiring on April 4, 2014.
As stated in the terms and conditions that you had agreed to when you submitted your application, once it is processed and approved by DHS we cannot issue you a refund.
It is stated on our site in more than one area that our charge per application is 59,00 euros.
Before you started the application the disclaimer clearly states that we charge 59 euros per application and that we are not the official Government site.
I cannot cancel something that has already been processed and approved by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Keep in mind there is only one system that processes applications. You already have a valid ESTA on file with DHS.
If you decide to reapply you will have not only paid our cost but also an additional amount to process yet another application."

I said I thought this was a complete rip off and that Mastercard would be happy to retrieve the payment.

The reply was "Our no refund policy is stated in more than one place on the site where you applied. It is stated in the disclaimer, certification statement and on the payment page.
If you wish MasterCard to cancel and reverse the payment, that is fine."

Can I cancel this and re-apply through the official site and will it likely hurt my credit rating.

Thanks for your help. :)

Comments

• OWT_FOR_NOWT
    OWT_FOR_NOWT Posts: 157 Forumite
    I bought an Esta 2 weeks ago at a cost of £9.09 from the official site, it was in dollars but on my credit card statement it converted to £9.09.

I too was baffled when I first googled "ESTA" but after shopping around realised there were non official sites over charging for the same thing.

Personally I don't think you will get a refund but I hope you do. Good luck.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    I'm not sure on what basis your credit card would issue a refund if you accepted the T&Cs?

and maybe delete your ESTA application number from your post?
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You haven't been ripped off. You paid a third party to complete the application for you.
    No different to the 'check and send' service offered by the post office.
    Legal team on standby
  • ferf1223 wrote: »
    and maybe delete your ESTA application number from your post?

I reported it.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 April 2012 at 12:29PM
    I'm afraid that Mastercard will probably agree with the company concerned.
    The fee of €59 was clearly shown on the first page of the website, and you ticked in the box to state that you had read and understood the T&C's.
    The cost of this application is EUR 59 fully inclusive of both the US Government charges (currently USD 14.00) and our service fee.
    Yes, I have read and understand the information and agree to these terms.
    No, I need additional clarification or I decline to provide acknowledgement.

The same info appears on the next page as well, and again, you must confirm that you've read and understood their terms
    Certification *: I, the applicant, hereby certify that I have read, or have had read to me, all the questions and statements on this application and understand all the questions and statements on this application. The answers and information furnished in this application are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. By clicking Submit Application, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the USA eServices Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. All sales are final.

The cost of this application is EUR 59 fully inclusive of both the US Government charges (currently USD 14.00) and our service fee. Please note, all sales are final.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,517
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wish I had thought of this business plan myself, could have made a nice tidy some from people that seem unable to read
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • I would be more worried about many of my personal details and credit card information being given to a 3rd party.

Who knows where they are actually located, how they handle and secure the information that they collect and how trustworthy their employees are.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    lesson learned I trust !
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • scottishperson2
    scottishperson2 Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2012 at 1:29PM
    I would be more worried about many of my personal details and credit card information being given to a 3rd party.

Who knows where they are actually located, how they handle and secure the information that they collect and how trustworthy their employees are.

I'd be more worried that he stuck his esta number/application number up on an open forum that appears on google searches that links to his passport number/credit card details/d-o-b and address. (although for legal reasons I haven't checked that info)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,349
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    I'd be more worried that he stuck his esta number/application number up on an open forum that appears on google searches that links to his passport number/credit card details/d-o-b and address. (although for legal reasons I haven't checked that info)

I dont think the esta number is enough on its own to obtain any details. I would still remove it though

I dont understand why anyone would pay extra though as if you do a search fro ESTA the number one result (after the sponsored ones) is the official US gvt site
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure