Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my Mum for my old phone?

Comments

• What? She's your mum! Give it to her, no questions asked, no resentment and certainly no delay. For goodness sake, it's got to be the tiniest of gestures towards your mother that surely no-one would even think twice about!
  • Let's stir the pot a bit. As we're assuming quite a lot, here.
    That £50 is a reasonable price for a secondhand smartphone.
    That Mum is not in the sort of carehome where nice things get nicked.
    That Mum has enough marbles to get the difference between most PAYG mobiles and a smartphone (the line *is* getting thinner.)
    That child can guide Mum through novice through to passably competent & that someone else more local can coach Mum further if she so wishes - without triggering a family civil war.

Even if the phone is worth five times the offer, so long as mum knows she can sell it for that if she needs to, clear it of all data & set it up from scratch with her.

Help her install the first few apps (include a find-me in case it does get left on a bus!) and wish her a long & happy time with it. (Even if she doesn't use 99% of it, you give her bragging rights!)

A happy mum? Priceless.
  • I feel so strongley about this post, I actually created an account to reply! Unless you are destitute or living on the streets, I can't imagine for one second how that thought could have crossed your mind!! Charge your own mother for a phone? How many sacrifices has that woman made for you in her lifetime? I've been giving my Mother my old phones for over 15 years now and yes everytime I give her a new one, I get weeks of questions and repeat questions whilst she masters it. Sometimes trying I will give you, but a reason to not give her it - never! How many times must I myself have frustrated her in the past, yet she's been there 24/7. A Mother is one of the few constants in your life and I was so happy and proud when as a teenager and earning my own money, I was able to give back to her. Little things then, larger things as I've got older. A Mother/Daugter relationship should be a two way street, with both give and take equally as you get older. Rant over! X
  • After all the money your mother must have spent on you throughout your life, I feel it would not be right to charge her anything for the phone - just give it to her ;)
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    DawnieW wrote: »
    I feel so strongley about this post, I actually created an account to reply! Unless you are destitute or living on the streets, I can't imagine for one second how that thought could have crossed your mind!! Charge your own mother for a phone? How many sacrifices has that woman made for you in her lifetime? I've been giving my Mother my old phones for over 15 years now and yes everytime I give her a new one, I get weeks of questions and repeat questions whilst she masters it. Sometimes trying I will give you, but a reason to not give her it - never! How many times must I myself have frustrated her in the past, yet she's been there 24/7. A Mother is one of the few constants in your life and I was so happy and proud when as a teenager and earning my own money, I was able to give back to her. Little things then, larger things as I've got older. A Mother/Daugter relationship should be a two way street, with both give and take equally as you get older. Rant over! X

Not for everyone.
  • As I'm new I'm not sure how to reply so you know I am acknowleging your comment, but I see your point Wiogs.
    I took the liberty of assuming the OP was in fact one of the lucky ones whose Mother had been a constant, as there was no mention of ill treatment by the Mother in the post and she was obviously still knocking about in their life to have requested their phone! I have 2 children who live with me (and I'm not their biological Mother so I'm well aware some women aren't in it for the long haul for one reason or another - I'd like to think the majority of them are though xx)
  • Listen to the song "No Charge" by Tammy Wynette.

(If it were my mother I wouldn't dream of asking her to pay for it, but, knowing her, she'd be trying to give me something for it and I'd be trying to refuse.)
  • wiogs
    DawnieW wrote: »
    As I'm new I'm not sure how to reply so you know I am acknowleging your comment, but I see your point Wiogs.
    I took the liberty of assuming the OP was in fact one of the lucky ones whose Mother had been a constant, as there was no mention of ill treatment by the Mother in the post and she was obviously still knocking about in their life to have requested their phone! I have 2 children who live with me (and I'm not their biological Mother so I'm well aware some women aren't in it for the long haul for one reason or another - I'd like to think the majority of them are though xx)

Just hit quote at the bottom of each message if you want to include it in a reply.
  • wiogs
    Ian181676 wrote: »
    Listen to the song "No Charge" by Tammy Wynette.

(If it were my mother I wouldn't dream of asking her to pay for it, but, knowing her, she'd be trying to give me something for it and I'd be trying to refuse.)

Is she on commission from this thread? That is twice folk have said listen to that appalling song (not including the version I linked to)
  • wiogs wrote: »
    Just hit quote at the bottom of each message if you want to include it in a reply.

Thank you x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport