PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Button Jar!

Comments

• nikibella
    nikibella Posts: 227 Forumite
    Hi
    I inherited my mum's button jar. My sister once took the time to organize all the buttons by colour and size. She just put thread through the wholes of the buttons and made chains with all similar buttons. Very handy.
  • amyandoli
    amyandoli Posts: 470 Forumite
    my mum sorted through her button jar and put all buttons related to me on a photoframe when i moved out, and photo of me in one of the coats a button was off when i was tiny.

it was lovely. we sat looking through old photos trying to spot me in the buttons/outfits, and it was her way of showing me that even though i was growing up and moving out, we still had a history and i was still her girl.
  • My button jar is an old nescafe jar, I cut buttons off old clothes and put them in, also spare buttons off new clothes. ( Tip - sew a button onto your dishcloths, great for getting dried on food like weetabix off the table ) .
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    quote:(seeing as dh got a piece of popcorn stuck up his nose at 43, oh yes indeedy :rolleyes: , I might be keeping it on the top shelf for a while..lol!)

Luce[/quote]

sorry, but i just rocked with laughter when i read that :rotfl: :rotfl: boys will be boys :o

xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • lizziebabe
    lizziebabe Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Gosh, I remember playing with my Gran's button box. It was an old biscuit tin. Don't know where it went though ......... Have one of my own, very handy for crafts etc. Often go to charity shops and if you ask they sometimes have one tucked away, if you need some for knitting etc.or updating an old jumper, a row of buttons along a vneck looks pretty.
  • I have a button jar! Well it is more a button purse , but I put all spare buttons from clothes in it. Amazingly when I lost a button from my two year old coat, I found the spare in my button purse. I was very chuffed!
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    Fond memories :)

My Nana had a big biscuit tin full of buttons, it was a favourite toy when I visited her. I still have no idea why she kept them since she owned/ran a haberdashery shop and had hundreds of different buttons to choose from!

I wish I knew what happened to it, I imagine it was thrown away when she had to go into a nursing home :(
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I have a jam jar with all our old buttons in it!!! Dont seem to use any of them, but cant throw them away.
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Button Tree link as promised :) sorry it took me a few days... took a bit of searching as I couldn't remember where I saw it!!

http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/cg_main.asp?cmd=display&seed_id=22565

hth :)
  • As I have always sewn and knitted besides visiting jumble sales to scour for fabrics my button box is a treasure trove of old and new buttons. Besides this I also have a bag of zips, and a whole box of lace and ribbons, which have been rescued from clothing. I have even been known to buy from jumble sales just for the trimmings. My daughter in law asked for a button box for her Christmas present. Much as I love her I was not about to part with mine as it is still much in use. Therefore I set about making her one. I scoured the charity shops as jumble sales are few on the ground round this area now. I managed to put together a lovely variety of old and new buttons and she was thrilled with it.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport