Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Finwiz
    Options
    We booked flights from Heathrow to Atlanta and back from New Orleans to Heathrow via Dallas in April. These were booked with BA using BA flights for the transatlantic portions. On the return journey the New Orleans to Dallas flight was cancelled due to mechanical failure, an AA flight, hence we missed our BA flight back to Heathrow. We were rebooked on an AA flight the following day and eventually arrived back in England 22 hours late. AA put us up in a hotel and gave us meal vouchers but the only compensation they gave us was a voucher to be used against an AA flight within the next year. It is unlikely we will be able to use this. I am trying to find out whether we are entitled to any compensation as we were booked on a BA flight and booked it through BA. I have tried to contact AA and BA but am not having much luck. Can any body help?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Finwiz wrote: »
    We booked flights from Heathrow to Atlanta and back from New Orleans to Heathrow via Dallas in April. These were booked with BA using BA flights for the transatlantic portions. On the return journey the New Orleans to Dallas flight was cancelled due to mechanical failure, an AA flight, hence we missed our BA flight back to Heathrow. We were rebooked on an AA flight the following day and eventually arrived back in England 22 hours late. AA put us up in a hotel and gave us meal vouchers but the only compensation they gave us was a voucher to be used against an AA flight within the next year. It is unlikely we will be able to use this. I am trying to find out whether we are entitled to any compensation as we were booked on a BA flight and booked it through BA. I have tried to contact AA and BA but am not having much luck. Can any body help?

Your cancelled flight was with a non-EU airline departing from outside the EU so EU compensation does not apply. Your BA flight was not the affected flight on the return...due to the cancellation of the domestic flight they had to leave without you so are not due you anything
  • Micky4rl
    Options
    Hi All

I hope someone would put me in the right direction and answer some questions for me.

3 years ago I was working in Australia as an Oil and Gas expatriate and one of my flights (Emirates) was leaving from Manchester to Perth, Western Australia. Although I was picked up by a chauffer from home to the airport and checked in, i was in the business class lounge for 4 hours befire the flight was eventually cancelled and i had to go back home and retried the following day. Thankfully we took off on the next day and arrived in WA safely.

Here are my questions, Am I entitled to any compensation, considering;

1) I always fly on business class and Emirates gave me some bonus skywards miles due to the delay/cancellation.
    2) Flight was cancelled and i went back home, effectively losing a day's pay on the Rig and saving Emirates my hotel cost.
    3) I don't have my boarding pass but can retrieve the flight details online.

I thank you in anticipation of your kind reply.

Michael Elegbede
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the face of it you are entitled to a standard EU regs flat rate payment for the Manchester to (??Dubai presumably) sector but nothing for the onward leg to Perth. Non EU airline Non EU flight.

Your 'considering' bits are not relevant to the payment
  • egalsoarin
    Options
    Hi - would appreciate some thoughts. Flight to Newark delayed by 7.5 hours on 5/4/14. Once boarded Captain announced that delay was due to the fact that working time regulations in the US had changed the previous week and this meant that he and the crew had had to take a longer rest break, which had not been reflected in the scheduling of the flights. Have complained to United quoting the relevant legislation. They have replied saying that the delay was due to an 'unexpected safety shortcoming.' and is therefore not covered by EC 261. Have tried to fob me off with useless vouchers. Anyone know how to prove they are fibbing! Thanks in advance.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably a valid claim - its the airlines responsibility to ensure their working practices are up to date and in line with current or new legislation.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mr Lewis on BBC at 12.15 today (5 live) talking re delays. Starts 17 mins into Podcast - link here ....

https://www.facebook.com/MonarchComplaints/posts/303497113145012
  • 24hrdelayed
    Options
    Hi- opinions please!!
    After a 24 delay on a Thomas cook flight returning from Turkey in June, I have used the template on here to make a claim for 4 people in our travelling party worth £1260 ( amount as recommended on table listed on here ). Today I have received an offer for 'full and final settlement' of £646...but in the form of a voucher towards a Thomas cook holiday!!

So- 2 questions really...
    1) I believe I can ask for payment by cheque rather than vouchers- is this correct?

2) should I attempt to carry on the claim with a view to achieving the original figure? or would this be unrealistic?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1) I believe I can ask for payment by cheque rather than vouchers- is this correct?
    2) should I attempt to carry on the claim with a view to achieving the original figure? or would this be unrealistic?

1) Correct
    2) Whilst you are sorting out 1) you should ask why the suggested compensation has been reduced by 50% - keep copies of everything. Basically they have admitted liability.

Should be on TC thread.
  • Muddy700
    Muddy700 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know how to proceed re Continental? They merged with United Airlines I think. Does anyone have any advice in terms of applying for comp for a 22 hour delay that was with Continental?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback