PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

dyeing sofa covers?

Don't know of this is the right place for this question but... We bought a couple of sofas a couple of years ago. With cream covers. All very well....then. Now my toddler is wombling round with dirty hands, feet, shoes, gunk, stuff and other general detritis associated with toddlerhood. Oh, and potty training (the least said about that the better :eek: ). I'm getting sick of washing the covers so I thought about dyeing them ( a dark brown colour possibly ) . Anyone out there know anything/recommend a dye or method for this?:confused:

Comments

• balmaiden
    balmaiden Posts: 623 Forumite
    Hi scrimpingbadger, I am going to dye my sofa covers soon at the moment they are having new cushion inserts made as the old ones were like sitting on a bicuit. My covers are terracotta and I will be redying them terracotta using dylon machine dye bought from my local chemist.
    Now I have dyed curtains etc in the past and the results have been excellent,but I have not dyed sofa covers before but a friend of mine dyed her cream sofa covers bottle green and they look fab,her advice is to weigh everything accurately as at her first attemt she guessed the weight and they came out patchy she then weighed properly and the next attempt were really super. The cost was about £60 she says.
    Hope that helps
    Bal
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
  • FBThree
    FBThree Posts: 346 Forumite
    Hi, My tenant managed to somehow bleach a terrocotta sofa cover arm, and add other sunbleached looks to it. I used Dylon machine dye, 4 packs of it to re-dye the sofa covers and it looks great. As said above, weigh your stuff, and measure it all out carefully. I had to split the covers over a couple of different batches but I'm so pleased because it saved me so much money re-dying this rather than getting replacements. Check around for good places for the dye-packs - I found cheapest locally in The Range, but it's also done at Robert Dyas, Wilkinson (I think), Fabric Warehouse.
  • balmaiden
    Just an update on this,

I have just dyed one of my sofas covers and they have turned out great. Makes it look like a new sofa, that and new cushion inserts. Total cost for two three seater sofas dye £60, new inserts ,£140. £200 quid and they really do look brand new.

Recommend this to anyone.
  • Hi,

Can I just ask to anyone who has done this whether a home washing machine is big enough to dye sofa covers? I can do the main cushons that I sit on but I was thinking about the large cover the covers the base and arms?

Thanks em
  • balmaiden
    Well I did mine in my washing machine ok. Just an ordinary domestic hotpoint.

HTH.
  • hi have tried to dye my sofa covers from gold to dark brown but because they are polyester then they didnt dye. Though i did try and it looked hopeful till the last rinse!! :mad: !!
    I have looked into sending them away to have them professionally dyed but this costs as much as having new covers made! :eek:
    anyone got any other suggestions???
  • but i don't know if draylon will take, my sofa covers are cream draylon, i don't want to buy a new couch because i cannot afford one, so i am wondering if i am able to dye draylon, i want to go black or gray, any help will be much appreciated...thankyou....
  • balmaiden wrote: »
    Hi scrimpingbadger, I am going to dye my sofa covers soon at the moment they are having new cushion inserts made as the old ones were like sitting on a bicuit. My covers are terracotta and I will be redying them terracotta using dylon machine dye bought from my local chemist.
    Now I have dyed curtains etc in the past and the results have been excellent,but I have not dyed sofa covers before but a friend of mine dyed her cream sofa covers bottle green and they look fab,her advice is to weigh everything accurately as at her first attemt she guessed the weight and they came out patchy she then weighed properly and the next attempt were really super. The cost was about £60 she says.
    Hope that helps
    Bal
    :rolleyes:
    When your friend re-dyed after after the first 'patchy' attempt did she need to bleach or un-dye before the second dye? I've had a similar problem with an IKEA sofa cover and would like to retry.

Big thanks,
    Al.
  • balmaiden
    No she didn't bleach them. She treated them as if they hadn't already been dyed. Just weighed them and used the correct amount of dye. As opposed to simply guessing how much to use.
  • Hi there,I have dyed a set of ikea and another cotton sofa covers with Dylon machine dyes.They were cream-very impractical with 2 little monsters and their dirty paws!!lol!!They are now purple!!
    The cheapest place I have seen the dyes are on ebay where they can be bought in bulk and/or singly.
    Please note that these only really work well on cotton fabrics.
    Hope it helps.Good luck!!
    Di.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family