Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 47
    • mitch3473
    • By mitch3473 17th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mitch3473
    Dont put a time down but give them a window of time. Once you have a run built up your clients will know roughly when you are arriving. You only need a new customer 15 minutes out of your way and your whole schedule will go out of the window.
    Get their phone numbers just in case and give them a business card, a quick call just to tell them you might be late works wonders and a quick call to tell them you're on your way saves a wasted journey if they are out. A lot of customers will text you anyway.
    • devon_guy
    • By devon_guy 27th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    devon_guy
    Seems a bit steep to me. Around here people either charge per bag or per hour.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 27th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 60,273 Posts
    • 352,144 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    There have been many discussions on pricing in the past here - and most people offer/experience "black dustbin bags" as the unit of measure and for pricing. Bigger items can be charged individually, but for "usual everyday items" a black bag seems easiest for most to price and attract customers as it keeps it simple.

It might be you're offering a more upmarket service, to a niche market in a small local area where individual pricing would work well for the demographics.... so the question is whether you've done enough local research to see what others are doing/offering.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 27th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 31,747 Posts
    • 37,457 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Merged all the ironing threads into the original one
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • mitch3473
    • By mitch3473 12th Aug 17, 8:35 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mitch3473
    I can never understand why someone would charge for ' a bin bag full '
    Charge per item, that way the client knows what they are being charged for and you know what you are working for. Tescos dont charge by the 'Trolley load'. If you charged me by the bin bag full I'd cram it so full you'd be working till midnight for peanuts.
    Last edited by mitch3473; 12-08-2017 at 8:41 PM.
    • DanahM
    • By DanahM 15th Aug 17, 9:09 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DanahM
    Insurance
    Hello, sorry to bother you.
    I'm thinking of starting an ironing service in my local area but I have no idea where to start.
    Would I be right in saying that I need public liabitlity insurance?
    How do I declare it to inland revenue?
    Do you deliver the clothes back to the customer hung up with covers over the top?
    I'm sorry for all the questions I don't know anyone that has started they're own business so feel very lost.

Thanks in advance. X
    • DanahM
    • By DanahM 15th Aug 17, 9:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DanahM
    Insurance
    I'm thinking of starting an ironing service in my local area but I have no idea where to start.
    Do you deliver the clothes back to the customer hung up with covers over the top?
    I'm sorry for all the questions I don't know anyone that has started they're own business so feel very lost.

Thanks in advance. X
    • mitch3473
    • By mitch3473 5th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mitch3473

Thanks in advance. X
    Originally posted by DanahM
    PL insurance is advisable just in case, it also looks good on your marketing literature.
    Regards your tax, it's best to speak to an accountant as a lot depends on your present earnings etc etc. That can be done once you're up and running.
    Hanging garments look well and are presentable if returned on cheap, plastic coated wire hangers and covered with polythene covers. Both are available on line and the polythene comes in various lengths. You'll probably get most of your hangers back off your regulars.
    For sweat shirts and polo shirts etc there are plastic folding devises available for a few quid on line ( you tube/ebay...shirt folders), they make the job easy and look very professional, return in poly bags, available on line. Look for ironing supplies. Seal the bags with small stickers with your details on them, again, it looks professional and it's easier than sticky tape.

Just as a side note.....whilst it may be advisable to start off with expensive irons we use a couple of Morphy Richards Breeze for finishing commercial linen as well as household laundry when they come out of the presses. They are on anything from 4-8 hrs a day and we've had them both for a couple of years now. Not bad for £20 each.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,606Posts Today

6,377Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin