Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
  • LydiaSophia
    I did this about 3 years ago aswell. I just stuck leaflets through peoples doors. I was completely inundated with ironing. It was all to much for me to cope with on my own.

I charged £8 per hour - I think I shot myself in the foot abit cos an hours ironing is hard work.

I gave it up in the end cos I just couldn't bear having someone elses washing hanging round the flat getting in my way.

Great idea though - if you don't mind ironing I would highly recommend doing it!
    Lydia

• sarahc44
    ironing business
    I have been working for over a year for an ironing lady, she has now opened a shop and my work from has all but stopped which is leaving me financially strapped to say the least.

I am thinking of starting my own ironing business up and know that she has stopped deliveries in this area so there is a market

I will be delievering leaflets in the coming days but what else do I need to consider? Tax, company name etc or shall I do casual till I am established?

Any help appreciated.

If I have posted in wrong place I aplologise
    • arlybarly
    • By arlybarly 8th Nov 07, 7:58 AM
    • 918 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    arlybarly
    sarah44
    i have my own cleaning business now which i am extremely busy with. i started out with an agency but then realised how much money they were making out of me just getting the work.

i decided to advertise in shops and the work has snowballed, i now employ a part timer as well as my oh when hes free. i did have a lot of people ask if i did ironing as well which i usually turned down. i have realised that there is serious money to be made especially if you are reliable and very trustworthy. most of the work now is recomendations so i dont advertise.

how i did tax and ni is i went self employed and had a lot of help from business link and various agencies which helped me. i also joined cleaning forums on the web and got a lot of tips from other people.

i would say definately go for it as there is a great demand out there and it is scary when you first start out as you always worry if you are going to make it. i am happier now than ever working for myself and its financially more rewarding than having a 9-5 job as i can also take time when kids are ill ect without worrying. if you want any help then feel free to pm me. good luck xx.
    • Stephb1986
    • By Stephb1986 8th Nov 07, 8:23 AM
    • 6,103 Posts
    • 8,405 Thanks
    Stephb1986
    Hi all me and my mum run a ironing service in the wigan and surrounding areas we've been running 5 years now. I think charging per hour will be shooting yourself in the foot charge per item we charge £12.50 per 20 items of clothing and have a customer base of 20-30 customers per night we have 2 vans. eventually after getting so much work at first it was a bit slow we decided to convert our garage into a work area it stops your house from getting all that fluff. the reason why we charge per item is because some people are harder than others so if a shirt would take me 5 minutes then thats 12 shirts per hour. where as we can iron 20 items in 30 minutes to a really good standard.

Sorry for the long post

Good luck

Stephb xx
  • sarahc44
    Costa Lot

I am in te kent area and have been working for an ironing company for over a year, however she has opened a shop and now work has dried up for me at home so am branching out on my own, in maidstone - anyone fancy joining me? need help re tax, insurance etc

sarah x x
  • sarahc44
    Thnkyou

ididn't see the replies i am gonna go for it - DH printing me up some flyers and I can get delivering in next few days see what happens!!!!!!!! I am very excited to be going alone just hope I don't tread on my lady's toes but she has her shop now and as I say most work is being done there..

where do i get garment covers from and do i need insuance to start

thankyou so much x x x x
    • Stephb1986
    • By Stephb1986 8th Nov 07, 1:15 PM
    • 6,103 Posts
    • 8,405 Thanks
    Stephb1986
    To be honest when customers start using you check all the items for burns and stuff and then dont iron it and tell them the reason why we've been honest with our customers and they are greatful for it as you dont want the hassle of someone claming you have burnt something when you haven't .

Have you thought of any names yet?
    try to target new build estates as the people have just moved in and cant be bothered to do their ironing that way they will tell their friends, family, collegues word travels fast and you'll soon be snowed under with work.

we are in the wigan area but cover surrounding areas there must be atleast 10-15 other ironing services in the area but there is enough work out there for everyone so dont worry about your old employer.

good luck!

Stephb xx
  • sarahc44
    Thnkyou Stephb

I was thinking 60p per adult item and 25p per childs then 1.00 per bedding set incl under sheets.

Thought of name Iron 4You?

thanks for help really appreciate it - very excited now

sarah x x
  • sarahc44
    ery excited have had some leaflets done and will be ready to drop them through doors later today also placed two freeads.

Hope I get some feedback and even one customer would be good to start

x x
    • Stephb1986
    • By Stephb1986 9th Nov 07, 12:57 PM
    • 6,103 Posts
    • 8,405 Thanks
    Stephb1986
    we charge 63p per item and kids 30 up to the age of 7

i'd charge more than that for bedding we stopped doing it because it took forever and it was always out of line

Stephb xx
  • washy woman
    Just found this site, and wanted to say hello.
    I started a laundry service in May this year, and targeted the local B&B's guest houses small hotels, to do linen, towels etc. and business has gone through the roof, I do free pick up and delivery, wash dry and iron. It's hard work, but so worth it, now buying my second van
  • welshnoonoo
    Pricing
    I am in the middle of starting up an ironing service but i am completely confused on which pricing policy is the best.

Does anyone here charge per Kilo? Or do you think per item is better?
    • cells
    • By cells 11th Nov 07, 7:01 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 4,197 Thanks
    cells
    great idea, i would suggest concentrating on students and those who have just left university and are working.

just put cards through the letter boxes, should be a cheap effective way of advertising

an ironing service is definitly something i would pay for, if the items where collected and returned. Or perhaps done at the customers home (although that might be difficult)

actually, i think thats probably the best bet, drive to customers homes with a good iron and board, do their ironing there for them, leave.

id say charge per half hour, perhaps something like £10.

to be honest it would probably be a better idea to do whole house cleaning but speciling in ironing, i would think there is a big market for weekly home duties (such as ironing, cleaning, ect.) could probably easily charge £30 for such a service.
  • cobbingstones
    Does everyone think £30 for ironing and cleaning is average? Would you for instance state that you would iron for 30 mins and the rest of the time period clean? I'm just wondering how you would advertise this. Also what if the house you cleaned at was a total mess and it took hours to do etc etc

TIA

MM
    • altyfc
    • By altyfc 18th Nov 07, 12:32 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 3,946 Thanks
    altyfc
    The ironing service that we use charges £15 per black bin bag of washing, and they don't seem to mind how stuffed full it is. We think it's a bargain.
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 19th Nov 07, 7:12 AM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    I would charge per item and do be careful if you are going to offer to iron bedding.

My bedding is super kingsize and I have 100% cotton which is a pig to iron....I'm lucky, my aunt has a launderette and does a couple of hotels, so I use her roller on my bedding.

May also be an idea to get the customer to confirm how many items thay are sending and do be prepared to get the grotty things that people don't like doing themselves.

The steam generator irons are good.

You may also need to inform your insurance company that you are now self employed and working from home.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • lorwiggins
    I don't have an ironing service so you may think my comments aren't particularly valid, but if I was a customer I would prefer to pay per item. If you are charging per hour people may think that you take longer per item just to get more money out of them.

At least with charging per item they can also work out how much it is going to cost before they send it - there's nothing worse than going into something blind and not wanting to pick the items up because you're worried about the price it's going to cost you!

Also - I can't think of anything worse than ironing bed sheets Well I can, and that's thinking that you want them ironed in the first place!

Lastly - good luck to everyone who's going for it, when I was a wee nipper I used to iron things for my mum for 50p per item and I used to rake it in!
  • halia
    anyone in the East yorkshire area up for cleaning/ironing to start in jan/feb?
    DEBT: £500 credit card £800 Bank overdraft
    £14 Weekly food budget

• Frugal Fox
    • By Frugal Fox 20th Nov 07, 2:43 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    Frugal Fox
    I have a 'small'' ironing business - I've turned customers away, when I could accomodate them, but this fits my life. I don't particularly like ironing bedding, so I charge accordingly. I figure if someone wants me to do it, they'll pay! I charge per item as I figure if it were I, I'd want to know what the bill would be. Because I live in a rural area I include collection and delivery and therefore have a minimum of £10 so that it is always worth my while.

I'd check all items from new customers for damage prior to ironing and flag that up to them. When visiting new customers for the first time, I'd ask them how they liked their items returned - shirts hung or folded, trouses hung or folded and where they like their pleats. I also explain that whilst I use garment covers mine accomodate about 5 items - don't like to use more due to the environment and that if they'd like things hung to include the hangers. I used to provide them, but it got costly.

To give you some idea I charge 85p for shirts/tops, £1.20 for skirts, trousers & dresses (half price for children's under 12 years), £2.40 for a double bed sheet (see I don't like them!), 50p per pillowcase etc etc

Its not easy - particularly in the heat of the summer, when the phone goes mad, but it does suit some people. However DO register with the Inland Revenue within 3 months of starting or you'll face a £100 fine. You'll have to submit tax returns, but if your turnover is less than £15,000 then they are quite simple to do.

Good luck!
    FF
    "A simple life freely chosen is a source of strength. Do not be pursuaded into buying what you do not need or cannot afford." Quaker Faith & Practice 1.02.41
  • elen
    I am just in the process of starting up an ironing service from home so this has all been very useful !

Do you think it's ok to set a minimum charge ? I will be offering collection and delivery in with the price so dont want to be charging around town for a couple of ££ - hence wanting a min charge of around £10?

What sort of turnaround is expected - I am thinking 48hrs - extra if they want same day service?

Do you provide hangers as part of the cost or can I charge for these. I have found a supplier so wont have a problem getting hold of them.

What sort of pricing have other people found? Around here it seems quite expensive (Cambs).

thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,817Users online

Martin's Twitter