Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eddiedog
    • By eddiedog 10th Aug 17, 1:33 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    eddiedog
    How to lend husbands limited company money?
    • 10th Aug 17, 1:33 PM
    How to lend husbands limited company money? 10th Aug 17 at 1:33 PM
    I'm looking for some advise please. My husbands limited company needs some start up capital, which I have and am happy to provide. I don't want to become a shareholder of the company as I don't want to receive dividends just non taxable loan repayments. Any ideas how we should formalise the loan to the limited company that gives me the most protection? I don't for a second think he'll run off with the cash but equally I don't want to be foolish with all my savings.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 10th Aug 17, 1:43 PM
    • 15,299 Posts
    • 21,836 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 10th Aug 17, 1:43 PM
    • 10th Aug 17, 1:43 PM
    I'm looking for some advise please. My husbands limited company needs some start up capital, which I have and am happy to provide. I don't want to become a shareholder of the company as I don't want to receive dividends just non taxable loan repayments. Any ideas how we should formalise the loan to the limited company that gives me the most protection? I don't for a second think he'll run off with the cash but equally I don't want to be foolish with all my savings.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by eddiedog
    In writing, signed by yourself and the company director aka your husband.

The company might also like to have a board meeting of its sole director and pass a resolution along the lines of,

It was resolved that the company had accepted a loan of £x from Mrs A. Anybody; the loan is interest free and repayble on demand.

Or whatever it is that you want.
    • bargainbetty
    • By bargainbetty 10th Aug 17, 2:09 PM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 7,142 Thanks
    bargainbetty
    • 10th Aug 17, 2:09 PM
    • 10th Aug 17, 2:09 PM
    Do bear in mind that if the the business fails, he will have no personal obligation to repay the money if you need it - the business will be the debtor.

Sorry, I've seen a lot of the threads on here about mixing money and family. Doesn't always end well.

Best of luck.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!
    MFW - Joined May 2012, aiming to cut the mortgage by an extra two months every year. (Overpaid £3000 so far)
    , only 11 years to go.

• eddiedog
    • By eddiedog 10th Aug 17, 2:37 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    eddiedog
    • 10th Aug 17, 2:37 PM
    • 10th Aug 17, 2:37 PM
    Thanks both.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,411Posts Today

6,309Users online

Martin's Twitter