moving direct debits

I've never really been interested in our household finances...until I discovered this site that is!

All our Direct Debits for our utilities etc have always come out of OH's account but I want to switch them over to the joint account so that I can keep track of them. Both accounts are with Barclays and we use online banking.

Probably a dumb question, but what's the easiest way to go about doing it? Do I have to contact all the companies and set up a new mandate?

Would be grateful for any advice as I have no idea about this sort of thing :o
weaving through the chaos...

Comments

• Sillychuckie
    Sillychuckie Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    probably best asking your branch to do it, or get online banking and do it yourself
  • Its not quite the same but I recently closed my Natwest accounts and transferred everything over to the Co-Op. I signed a form which enabled the Co-Op to transfer everything for me, I did not have to do a thing. AND they did it all right!
    If I were you I would pop in and see Barclays, I cant see any reason why they cannot do it for you fairly easily, you shouldnt need to contact any companies yourself.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd ask Barclays if they have a switcher service for the account you want to move them to (I presume they must do) and just ask them to arrange it all. I would say also no need to contact the DD benefeficiaries individually.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd never use a switching service unless you'll have enough money in both accounts to cover all direct debits.

I'd just do it with each utility company, online if their website offers this option, or by 'phoning them.
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks everyone... think I'll contact Barclays first.
    weaving through the chaos...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport