CRU / DWP Issues

Hello,

I come to you in hope having just talked to the DWP.

My partner was paid compensation for an injury she sustained. During the settlement, the solicitors consulted the DWP asking for how much benefits she would have claimed to ensure that was included in the settlement. This was paid in full at settlement.

She has since received a letter informing her that £200 (approx) will be coming out of her next wage package for benefits paid during the time covered in the case. This is the first we have received anything from them and was surprised by firstly the lack of information on the letter and the short period in which it would be taken.

We have spent the morning on the phone to DWP and have been passed from pillar to post. Half the people don't have access to any of her information, half the team only have access to the what they say is still outstanding.

I was just looking for advice. Can the DWP go back on information that they supplied to solicitors for settlement? How is the best person to talk to? How can I get this resolved quickly before they are saying they are taking the money regardless.

Many Thanks

Chris

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello,

I come to you in hope having just talked to the DWP.

My partner was paid compensation for an injury she sustained. During the settlement, the solicitors consulted the DWP asking for how much benefits she would have claimed to ensure that was included in the settlement. This was paid in full at settlement.

She has since received a letter informing her that £200 (approx) will be coming out of her next wage package for benefits paid during the time covered in the case. This is the first we have received anything from them and was surprised by firstly the lack of information on the letter and the short period in which it would be taken.

We have spent the morning on the phone to DWP and have been passed from pillar to post. Half the people don't have access to any of her information, half the team only have access to the what they say is still outstanding.

I was just looking for advice. Can the DWP go back on information that they supplied to solicitors for settlement? How is the best person to talk to? How can I get this resolved quickly before they are saying they are taking the money regardless.

Many Thanks

Chris

The best thing to do is to contact the solicitor and ask for the information the DWP supplied about benefits received. Ask for a written copy of that information to be sent. This should tell you the dates and how much and how it was calculated by the DWP

Send the DWP the information on which the settlement was based asking for written evidence of how this new 'claw back' from her wages has been assessed. (Don't forget to keep a copy yourself)

It could simply be a case of some period of time not being taken into account when the financial settlement occurred.
  • Thanks pmlindyloo!

We have a copy of the CRU (I kept all the paperwork) but took your advice and contacted the solicitor anyway. She was really very helpful and has sent off a copy of the final CRU with a covering lettering letter explaining that the money they are asking for falls within the CRU period. She has also advised them that should they wish to recoup additional money during the period they are to contact the person found liable and not my partner.

I have no idea if that is all correct or not but she seems switched on and competent. I was really surprised she was so happy and willing to help considering the case finished over a year ago and the payment they are asking for was over 3 years ago.

Thanks again for your help. I was beginning to lose all hope and patience. I'm sure there are some great people who work for the DWP but every phone call is like pulling teeth.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    She has also advised them that should they wish to recoup additional money during the period they are to contact the person found liable and not my partner.

I'd disagree with this. It is for the claimant's solicitor to ensure that any compensation award is sufficient to cover their liabilities. The DWP has no relationship with the respondent, it's not for them to be chasing them, especially after what is likely to have been a final settlement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure