Disabled child . Esa & maintenance

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think this is probably more of a relationship problem than a benefits one, both with your daughter's father and your partner.

Now your daughter is claiming a benefit in her own right I would agree with the opinions so far that child support would stop. But this does not mean that your daughter's father has to stop supporting her financially if he chooses to. Does she visit him? What is their relationship like?

If he prefers to cut off all financial support (and even if he doesn't) then you need to have 'one of those' discussions with your partner.

At the moment you are splitting everything down the middle. That means he is supporting your child together and himself. Whilst you are supporting yourself and your daughter.

This may have made sense when you had sufficient money to support your daughter and you - daughter's DLA/PIP, Carer's allowance and child maintenance but now there will not be sufficient. What does your partner expect you to do?

You may be able to get a part time job if your daughter's needs allow you to but if they don't then.....................?

I do not agree with these separate financial arrangements myself although in some circumstances they do seem to work well. However. in a partnership there are often times when one partner would need to support the other partner (illness/loss of job for either) and it looks like one of those times.
  • Ok i called again today and apparently claiming ESA at 16 doesn't affect the maintenance claim . . A different day a different answer .. are there any benifit experts available here ?
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    you will only lose £13 a week in child benefit and assessment rate ESA is £73 a week/. So unless you're x pays more than £60 a week in maintenance you won't lose anything B]
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Ok i called again today and apparently claiming ESA at 16 doesn't affect the maintenance claim . . A different day a different answer .. are there any benifit experts available here ?

It's the fact you are no longer eligible to child benefit that stops you from receiving child maintenance.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would be inclined to get this all in writing from the CSA.

So, write and say daughter is 16 years old in full time education and receives ESA and PIP/DLA (name care and mobility awards). State that you no longer receive CB as your daughter is now claiming benefits in her own right. Ask for confirmation that child support will continue to be paid in these circumstances.
  • Does this mean people who can't claim child benefit due to their own income being too high can't claim maintenance ? I don't think so .. they said today because she is still in full time education he has to pay .
    Disabled 16 -19 year olds are entitled to ESA and also to a bursary for the school as part of that claim .

Her ESA would be less then the maintenance.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's the fact you are no longer eligible to child benefit that stops you from receiving child maintenance.

It doesn't have to stop if the non-resident parent is willing to continue providing for their child.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    're: tax credits. Because.my new partner works and earns well we weren't getting tax credits. Although we are financially separate because we have a younger child together the government assume we are financially connected and expect him to support me and a disabled child that isn't his .

I'm sorry I don't have any benefits advice, but that doesn't sound sustainable or fair at all. Are you a family or not?
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you know what the bursary is called, and is the course classed as non advanced education?
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Nannytone wrote: »
    you will only lose £13 a week in child benefit and assessment rate ESA is £73 a week/. So unless you're x pays more than £60 a week in maintenance you won't lose anything B]

Assessment rate for under 25s is £57.90 a week

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/what-youll-get
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family